What kind of adhesive used to attach a mirror to a wall

Old 12-18-99, 10:45 PM
Visiting Guest
I want to addhere a large piece of mirror without a frame or backing to the wall using an adhesive. What kind of adhesive won't affect the mirror coating on the back of the glass, but will hold the mirror up? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-99, 01:08 AM
Visiting Guest
happy holidays,
i would check with a local glass company before i did this. the idea of holding up a large glass mirror with just adhesive is scarey. think about this, the mirror finish is just stuck to this large glass, you will be sticking this finish to your wall.sounds like a real no-brainer to me.

Old 12-19-99, 08:12 AM
Visiting Guest
Hi, I work for a glass company and yes you can stick mirrors to walls using just adhesive, but it is a special Adhesive that is made just for this purpose it does not affect the silvering on the mirror, we call it mirror Adhesive but it may be called a different name where you live but as already suggested go to your local Glazing company and get the details from them, when you use this Adhesive you will have to hold the mirror in place untill it sets hard, it is always wise to have screw fixings where possible, remember that if you ever want to remove the mirror in the future it will de difficult without breaking the mirror, also a word of caution!!!! do not just use this Adhesive if you want to put the mirror on the ceiling use the proper screw fixings that can also be brought from your local glass shop and make sure that the ceiling will take the extra weight, also your local glass shop will drill holes in your mirror for you to fit the screws through, this is always done at your risk, ie if the mirror breaks whilst being drilled then it is you who bear the cost of replacing the mirror not the Glass company, and there is a limit as to the size that mirrors can be fitted in one piece on ceilings, also the silvering on the glass that turns it into a mirror is actually burnt on and not just stuck on as already suggested thats why mirrors last so long they are done like the paint on a car and is very difficult to remove..., also make sure that the wall finsih and the plastering on the wall will take the extra weight loose plastering might come away from the blockwork if it has not adheard properly although this is rare I have seen it happen, also make sure the wall is clean and dust free before using the Adheasive, I hope this helps a little, Handyman.

[This message has been edited by Handyman (edited December 19, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by Handyman (edited December 19, 1999).]

Old 01-15-00, 04:34 PM
Visiting Guest
Being in the mirror business I tell you how we do it. I'm assuming that this a mirror that is less than 20 years old. Prior to that the painted backing was not as good as it is today and many adhesives would bleed through. First you must mechanically support the mirror at the bottom (clips, J moulding, L moulding or anything to rest it on) We use a black mirror adhesive which prevents the mirror from falling forward. We also use ordinary clear silicone sealant. It's adhesive qualities are so good your can never take the mirror off the wall.

Old 01-18-00, 10:30 AM
Visiting Guest
Arrow

I am moving this thread to the new "Glass and Mirrors" forum.

Lydia
DoItYourself.com

Old 01-19-00, 04:32 AM
Visiting Guest
Please read the post on 'wall mirror removal' before gluing your mirror to the wall. The time to worry about removing the mirror is before you put it up.