removing mirror

Old 02-12-06, 07:21 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
removing mirror

How do you remove a floor to ceiling wall mirror? Just break it up? Will it rip down the drywall? Thanks.

Old 02-18-06, 07:24 PM
P
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
I removed a bathroom mirror about 36x48 by placing duct tape across it and up and down, then broke it in several places using a hard rubber hammer. Then, working from the top down, I just used a wide chisel to work the pieces off.

In your case, I would only break the first 2 feet or so working from the top down and after 2 feet have separted from the wall, I would carefully cut the tape and "clean up" the mess so far. Then break another 2-3 feet down and so on.

Use heavy gloves, of course, and eye protection, although in my case I didn't get carried away so much that glass splinters went flying.

After it was all finished, I saw it was only held on at the four corners and a big blob in the middle.

Don't get frisky with the hammer or you'll dent the drywall beneath, or crack it as well.

Old 02-19-06, 10:42 AM
Received 12 Upvotes on 11 Posts
[QUOTE=Pipsisiwah] In your case, I would only break the first 2 feet or so working from the top down and after 2 feet have separted from the wall, I would carefully cut the tape and "clean up" the mess so far. Then break another 2-3 feet down and so on.QUOTE]

You will not be able to control how the mirror will break. You may hit it once at the top and the break could run the full length of the mirror vertically, horizontally or at any angle. It could be dangerous for a DIY job.

How wide is the mirror?

Old 02-23-06, 04:41 AM
K
removing mirrors

if mirrors are glued to the wall ,,, all you need is a nylon thread
i have removed several mirrors as big as 5 by 5 using a nylon thread and putting it behind the mirror and using the thread like a saw,, no bad luck for me so far,,, does not take to long cause most mirrors are just stuck on with slicone and held in place with hook like anchors at top bottom or sides,, i think breaking them would be my last method,,

my two cents

Old 02-24-06, 06:39 PM
P
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
I thought about that, but my 3h x 4w abutted a wall on one side. No way to get the thread through, and if I could, no way to get a decent angle for cutting. Were is a vertical mirror and centered on the wall, t'would be a different story.

Old 02-25-06, 04:30 AM
H
Homer

Originally Posted by kingjoca
if mirrors are glued to the wall ,,, all you need is a nylon thread
i have removed several mirrors as big as 5 by 5 using a nylon thread and putting it behind the mirror and using the thread like a saw,, no bad luck for me so far,,, does not take to long cause most mirrors are just stuck on with slicone and held in place with hook like anchors at top bottom or sides,, i think breaking them would be my last method,,

my two cents
Sounds like a good idea. What's nylon thread and where can I get it?
Thanks.

Old 02-25-06, 05:24 AM
You can try it but I've used piano wire which is very thin yet strong and never had success. If its silicone and the dabs are small, maybe but if it's held up with globs of black mirror mastic (which is my guess), forget it. I have taken many mirrors down in my life time and I think it's risky to DIY. We used suction cups with a "push and pull" motion until the mastic broke loose. To help, we sometimes used wedges on the edges to force the mirror forward until the mastic broke loose. In some cases, we had to cut it and remove it in sections.

Old 02-25-06, 09:26 AM
A
Thumbs up Thanks Jonam

You answered both of my questions . This is my first trip into this site and I have the same mirror situation in the bathroom, My mirror approx 4' X5' was installed about 19 years ago. I loved it then but it is time for a change. When they installed it the installer used the adhesive and supported the bottom in a "J" track. I have never had a problem with it . My first thought was to try and get the original glasier in to take it down ( but can't find him anymore?) or someone to remove it cut a hole into it so that I could mount an electrical box through it ( with supports to hold it in the old medicine cabinet cutout). Remount the mirror and add a light fixture.
That is option #1
Option #2 is to remove the mirror all together, refinish the wall and just hang a smaller oval mirror.

I knew it was not a DIY job

I will look for someone in Long Island ( nassau ) to come and give me an estimate and see what works best for me.

Thanks!~
Aantnee

Old 02-25-06, 09:47 AM
Option #2 is your least expensive way to go and will give you a new look. Removing the mirror and cutting a 2" X 4" hole is not worth doing in your case. To remove the mirror, try to remove the mastic from the back of the mirror, cut the hole and re-install the mirror, is all done with no responsibility of damage to the mirror on the part of the glazier.

Old 02-25-06, 09:59 AM
A
Cool Joham

Thanks!
You are right, I would be better off just removing it and doing a new look in the bathroom.

I realize just how hard it would have been for the glasier to remove the mirror , cut the hole, and reset it without any damage to the piece so I had no intention of holding the man responsible for breaking/damaging the piece as long as he had no plans on charging me the full price for the removal , modifing, reinstalling if the piece was damaged and could not be used.

If it broke or was damaged and he just charged me for the removal I would have been satisfied that he tried .

Thanks Again
BTW
Sorry I spelled your name wrong earlier.

Aantnee

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: