Cutting Lexan?

Old 02-13-06, 11:34 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cutting Lexan?

This looks like it is the best forum for this question, but if it is not, mods could you please move it to the proper place? Ok here is what Im trying to do. I want to make a pick guard for my guitar out of thin Lexan plastic that is .93 thick. What would be the best way to go about cutting this? I have tried a dremel but it just seems the melt the plastic. Also in trying to cut with the Dremel is it very hard to get around the bends, and make it look clean. Now the curves and bends arent really all that sharp, but there is alot of them. So what would guys suggest I use to cut this and make it look clean? Below I put a picture of a pickguard so you can see what I mean by the curves.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a20/tidalwavetiburon/RETRO00002_sm.jpg

Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-06, 11:42 AM
Group Moderator
Received 54 Votes on 51 Posts
Trace the design onto the lexan with a marker. Cut it with a hand saw like a coping saw a little outside the lines, then clean it up and make the final shape with sandpaper.

Old 02-13-06, 11:57 AM
Originally Posted by mitch17
Trace the design onto the lexan with a marker. Cut it with a hand saw like a coping saw a little outside the lines, then clean it up and make the final shape with sandpaper.
HMM Thats not a bad idea, do you think a Rotor would work?

Old 02-13-06, 11:58 AM
While Lexan is very hard to break, it scratches easily. Are you sure you want to go through all this work and have to live with this situation? Just a thought. Most plastic materials melt when cut with a power tool. Mostly because the speed is too high and it produces heat. Good luck.

Old 02-13-06, 12:15 PM
Originally Posted by majakdragon
While Lexan is very hard to break, it scratches easily. Are you sure you want to go through all this work and have to live with this situation? Just a thought. Most plastic materials melt when cut with a power tool. Mostly because the speed is too high and it produces heat. Good luck.

I understand what you mean, but im bringing an old guitar back from the dead, that is going to be a starter guitar for someone. I went to homedepot looking for some other plastic but they only have lexan.

Old 02-13-06, 12:21 PM
I understand. Thanks for the clarification and good luck.

Old 02-13-06, 02:56 PM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
First of all, I believe the thickness is .093 (3/32") since .93 is almost 1". The picture shows it to be a very intricate design. If it is the thickness that I mentioned you will have to clamp the lexan to a piece a 1/4" plywood to prevent chatter from the cutting. You can use a coping saw that mitch17 suggested or a router with spiral or three-fluted carbide bit. It's not an easy job.

Old 02-17-06, 08:48 AM
can't you just purchase a new one from a guitar retailer? surely they make replacement ones you can buy, right?