Remove and cut mirror

Old 08-01-06, 02:34 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Remove and cut mirror

Does anyone know how to remove a large bathroom mirror 3'x6'? It is mounted tight against the wall with just 4 clips that come from behind the glass. Do I slide it out to one side...don't think there is enough space in the room? Just can't figure out how to get to a clamp I can't see.

When I do get it off...what is the best advice for making a more trendy, smaller framed mirror? I have worked with stained glass in the recent past...can I cut the mirror like glass? And I was going to mount it on plywood and nail some nice trim for the frame to the wood. Makes for easy mounting to the wall too.

Thank you.

Old 08-01-06, 03:00 PM
Group Moderator
Received 68 Votes on 57 Posts
Push up on the top clips, lean mirror out and lift off of bottom clips. Sometimes the top clips are spring-loaded, sometimes just gravity. Probably can't cut it; likely to be tempered glass.

Old 08-01-06, 03:26 PM
Received 9 Votes on 9 Posts
Tow guy is right on the removing the mirror but it is not tempered. Mirror is never tempered since tempering distorts the glass. You can cut it and go ahead with your plan.

Old 08-01-06, 05:39 PM
T
You may find that mirror was also installed with silicone caulk in addition to the clips. Expect some wall damage if removing mirror. It will be difficult to get mirror off without breaking it if it was adhered to the wall. Cover vanity with drop cloth before beginning. If you find that it is adhered to the wall, you will likely have to break the mirror with a hammer wrapped in a towel. (Wear goggles.) Then remove piece by piece.

If blobs of adhesive were used, some have had success running piano wire behind mirror to saw through adhesive. Mirror may fall. Expect damage to wall and mirror. On smaller mirrors some have had success heating mirror to soften adhesive and prying off with putty knife or small pry bar. Either way, expect damage to wall or mirror or both.

Old 08-02-06, 11:33 AM
U
If the mirror is adhered to the wall as twelvepole suggests, and breaking is a probability/certainty, cover the mirror with strips of duct tape, then cover the vanity below. That will help to contain the pieces (some of which will be large and all of which will be sharp). Wear heavy gloves.

The mirror and glass guys use large suction cups as handles to give them something to hold on to - borrow some if you can, rent some if you can't.

Old 08-02-06, 01:01 PM
if you have a harbor frieght nearby they have the sunction cups cheap .

Old 08-02-06, 02:03 PM
N
Thanks all...

You say to push up on the top clips, lifting them up and off the mirror, then tilt foward and lift whole mirror off?

The similar, but smaller mirror in the spare bath didn't have the adhesive caulk, so I hope same is true here. Nothing in this house was put together correctly.

Other tips for cutting...? Laying it out on a big work table, will score, slide cut area to edge of table and let gravity help me snap it. Should I worry about the silver mirror backing or will it break with the glass?

And does my re-mounting with plywood backing adding the trim then hang with sturdy wire/hooks or one of those European style wedge blocks that hold it in place sound like a good plan? I want to add a frame and hang the mirror in the easiest way possible. Making a good looking and structural frame to hang this heavy thing doesn't seem in my skill level.

Old 08-03-06, 02:04 PM
As for cutting, remember this is 1/4" glass and not the stain glass you were used to cutting. The cutter should not be a new one since it is not good to cut 1/4" glass. Lube the path before cutting with a light oil and bring it to within 1" of the edge of the table & snap. If the mirror is old, the silver make pull away.

Old 08-03-06, 02:30 PM
Group Moderator
Received 68 Votes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by johnam
Mirror is never tempered since tempering distorts the glass. You can cut it and go ahead with your plan.
Duh! Don't know why I thought it was tempered.

Old 09-22-06, 07:25 PM
N
Okay, have the mirror safely down and cut, yeah!

Now...I'm not liking my idea to mount mirror on plywood with a slight overhang of the wood. Brad nail and glue my trim to the wood, paint and hang.
Is there a better way to frame a mirror?
I want it to look nice, but am not going to go all out $ on this project...ideas???

Old 09-23-06, 04:45 AM
What size is the mirror now? Were you able to remove the mastic from the back of the mirror?

Old 09-23-06, 02:22 PM
N
Mastic?
Mirror up with drywall mounted clips, very easy. Wallpaper behind it, not cool!
Only silver backing on plain wall mirror 3'x6'.
Have simple glass cutter from stain glass days. Mirror on table, ready to cut down to 2.75'x5' or so.
Just need easy way to custom frame and mount to wall, studs or drywall. I'd prefer studs, thanks.

Old 09-30-06, 08:16 PM
N
Framing mirror?

Anyone...anyone? Just need an easy way to frame a mirror with big box bought trim molding. Got pre-primed white, but may go back to get real wood that can be stained to match.
Sticking it to mirror and rehanging is the problem?

Any ideas would be great.

Old 10-23-06, 09:50 AM
Red face Mirror

Oh man, I thought I thought ov evertything...my mirror has a very small silver "thing" (it's larger than nothing, smaller than a frame! :-D). I didn't thind of it being glued on. If the mirror I am replacing it is the exact same size, it won't matter will it?
Thanks!

Old 10-25-06, 01:18 PM
N
Mirror Mates...???

Have decided to go with a stick-on frame from a website we found. Did a backsplash above the sink and am just getting ready to attempt to cut this big thing down to size. Once it's cut, I'll have it back up the same way it came down...with those spring loaded clips. Then measure and order the frames. Costing about $150 for the style and size frame we need...still probably less then a new framed mirror would be and there's very little waste this way.

Thanks all.

Old 10-29-06, 06:52 PM
K
Please post how this turns out. I'm looking into doing the same thing. I have three fairly large mirrors that I would like to frame.

Old 10-29-06, 07:10 PM
N
I sure will Kristeejo.
I think I've changed my mind again though. I'm going to take it to a frame shop here to see what we can price out. I think for nearly the same cost as the on line frame, I can take the mirror in (I have a truck) have them cut it to the perfect size and professionally mount the frame and hanging hardware. I may not get as substantial a frame, it may be considerably more to do it this way.
If it is, I'll be back to cutting and ordering it myself.

I'll know next week for sure and will post back.

Old 10-29-06, 07:22 PM
Now you're doing the smart thing. Some job should be left to the professional.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: