plexiglass stair railings

Old 08-06-06, 11:50 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
plexiglass stair railings

Hi all-

Looking for some help or advice, and really don't know where to post. I just purchased a new home and need some help with stair railings. I planned on putting smoked glass where the rails would go, but figure it would get quite spendy, and plus there will be a pool table near, and don't want to have to replace them. Decided to look towards putting in some sort of smoked plexiglass. Has anyone ever done this before? Does smoked plexiglass even exist? If so, where would I go to get something like this done. The main outer rails are already in place along with the mount to bolt in the plexiglass. Most of the sheets will be around 4ftX4ft, but there will need to be some sheets that need to be cut to wrap around the staircase. What width will I need to go with to make sure it can bend at a slight angle to accomodate the twist in the staircase? Any help and suggestions will be appreciated!!!

Old 08-07-06, 05:27 AM
Received 12 Upvotes on 11 Posts
If you use glass, it would have to be tempered. Both glass & plexiglas are available in tints. Bronze & gray are the most common. To DIY you'll have to work with plexiglas since glass should be left to the professional. You'll have to find a supplier of plexiglas that also does fabricating and they will answer your questions. Look under plastics in the yellow pages.

Old 08-08-06, 06:18 AM
U
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I'm not sure what the building code says regarding plexiglass or other material used for a railing, but it might dictate something thicker than your local big box store handles. Also be aware that plexiglass scratches easily.

Curved sections of railing presents a challenge, but straight sections can be done using single panel (1/4" thick, not a two-pane thermal unit) patio door replacement glass used horizontally, in a notched frame (wood or steel). I've seen lots of these on the Calif coast as it cuts the wind, without sacrificing the view.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: