Replacing Glass Table Top

Old 02-13-07, 11:44 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Replacing Glass Table Top

All,

I am trying to replace a glass table top (coffee table) that was broken and need to find out what type of glass I should be after. I have called a number of suppliers and have received a number of different answers.

The base of the table is a square pedastal 16 inches by 16 inches. I would like the table itself to be 48 inches by 20 inches. This means the glass will overhang the base by about 16 inches on each side (lengthwise) and 2 inches on each side (widthwise). The table will be about 18 inches tall.

As a coffee table, there will not be huge amounts of weight placed upon it. However, it will hold drinks, occasional books, and dinners.

What kind of glass do I buy? I have been told varrying thickness measurements with a commong consesus around 1/4 inch. Do I need to get tempered glass?

Thanks for the reponses.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
***Moderator's note: Duplicate thread created in the Furniture, Furnishings, Upholstery and Fabrics topic has been deleted***

Last edited by DIYaddict; 02-13-07 at 11:56 AM. Reason: See note in post
Old 02-13-07, 01:40 PM
Received 12 Upvotes on 11 Posts
What type of glass and thickness did you have before and how did it break?
With a 16" overhang, the glass has a good chance of tipping if someone leaned on it. 1/4" glass is out of the question. 3/8" or 1/2" will be a bit more stable but still a problem with that much over hang. Tempered is not required but if you are going to do it, go with tempered to avoid a serious accident.

Old 02-13-07, 02:13 PM
R
Glass table top

Thanks for the response.

I inherited the table stand, so I am unsure as to the previous thickness of glass.

I just wanted to point out, it is a coffee table adn sits quite low to the ground, so I am not worried about someone leaning on it that much.

I would like to try and avoid tempered if possible, because of the cost it adds.

Old 02-13-07, 02:14 PM
K
Glass costs more than many people realize. Consider hunting up a used tabletop - it will likely cost far less than new glass.

The corners should be radiused. This adds to cost.

The edges should be beveled or sanded, then polished. Additional cost.

The top must have enough mass it won't upset just from someone placing a stack of books on one end. It should be thick enough not to break if someone falls on it or bumps it off the pedestal. 1/2", I think. This kind of glass table is prone to accidents.

Old 02-14-07, 01:37 AM
I have found over the years that if a glass table breaks it is easier to buy a new one as the replacement glass is usaully more than the new table

Old 02-17-07, 07:18 AM
S
I broke a large piece of glass that was *inset* into my coffee table. The 1/4" beveled replacement was cut to order and didn't cost too much - $30 or $40 as I recall.

Your situation is a bit different - since the edge of the glass is exposed, then order something thicker. If you have kids around, you might want to consider tempered glass because it withstands a lot more abuse and shouldn't injure anyone if it breaks. The extra cost would be worth it.

I recently replaced an 80" high sidelight with a custom-made tempered double-pane and it cost just over a hundred bucks. I wouldn't think a coffee table top would be very expensive, but I'm no glass expert.

Good luck!

Old 02-19-07, 07:24 PM
S
Hello, I am also trying to get a piece of replacement glass. Where do you go/call to get your custom piece made?

Old 02-20-07, 04:21 AM
Received 12 Upvotes on 11 Posts
Go to the Yellow Pages and look under "Glass-Automobile, Plate & Window".

Old 02-21-07, 05:34 PM
S
Thank you for the search tip. I found a great place today to get the glass custom cut for my coffee table. The total cost was $41.00 and I pick it up tomorrow.

Old 05-01-07, 10:46 AM
A
hi

Hi

Could you let me know the place you got the glass from. I am looking for a table top as well. Am located in NYC.

Thanks

Anuraag

Old 05-01-07, 06:08 PM
J
3/8 would be better don,t waste your money on tempered but isn,t that thing going to tip over with that base?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: