diy cutting mirrors

Old 09-23-07, 02:16 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
diy cutting mirrors

I read the threads about cutting mirrors like glass which is good to know. Now what I need to know is how to cut it in shapes. I am currently modifying my Chevy pick-up and among other things I have made a wooden (interior) rearview mirror frame in the shape of the Chevy bowtie with a recessed area that the mirror will sit in. Just want to find out how to cut the inside corners without a large amount of trial and error.

Thanks much,
Bobby

Old 09-23-07, 07:46 AM
Received 12 Upvotes on 11 Posts
If you're planning to make this in one piece, forget it. It could be made in 3 separate pieces. If it must be one piece, you must go to a glass shop that may have the proper equipment to cut it.

Old 09-23-07, 10:44 AM
nap
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
I have to agree on that one.

first, you must realize that what is typically refrred to as cutting glass actually isn;t. It is controlled breaking. A line is scored across the glass and then the glass is broken. The line causes the break to follow that line and viola`, you have you cut piece of glass.

cutting glass, as most laymen would, can only cut a piece with a continous line with no internal angles. A curve is possible but the abruptness of the angle and the crystaline structure of glass will not allow one to cut glass as such.

There are band saws and circular saws that are used to cut glass (actually abrading it would be more accurate) and can be used to cut an internal angle. I suggest simply having a glass shop cut this up for you. In the end, it would both easier and cheaper.

Old 09-27-07, 02:30 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Smile

Thanks folks,
I kinda figured it was not possible since I have never heard or read of anybody cutting angles in glass, but I thought it worth a try. Off to the glazier I go!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: