Mirror cutting for a new light fixture

Old 12-10-07, 03:01 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Mirror cutting for a new light fixture

Ok, picture this. I have a large mirror in my bathroom and at the top of it, the ceiling begins and is angled in. Also the existing lighting fixture is a mirrored, contemporary long fixture with the bulb lights and is actually installed about 3 inches below the top of the mirror, sort of inset inside the mirror. What I want to do is remove that fixture, cut the mirror so I can replace the fixture with a less contemporary one and frame the mirror with a Mirror Mate. My problem is how do I cut the mirror while it is still on the wall?

Old 12-10-07, 03:17 PM
Received 12 Upvotes on 11 Posts
Impossible to do by you or a professional. Have you removed the fixture? Is it laying on the surface of the mirror or is the mirror cut out and the fixture mounted to the wall?

Old 12-10-07, 04:09 PM
T
No, I haven't removed the old fixture. The mirror is cut out and the fixture is mounted on the wall in that space.
I was hoping I could remove the old fixture, cut the mirror at the bottom of the cut out area so actually I'd only be cutting a smaller mirror surface since I would only be extending the cut out area (am I explaining this right?) and then mount a new fixture in that space between the new top of the mirror and the slope of the ceiling, add a Mirror Mate around the whole mirror and then paint any areas that are left on that part of the wall.

Old 12-10-07, 05:05 PM
Received 12 Upvotes on 11 Posts
I've got the picture but the mirror still can't be cut. I guess the fixture you want to use will not cover the space of the old fixture. You'll have to replace the mirror.....sorry.

Old 12-10-07, 07:54 PM
T
well because I also want to install a Mirror Mate around the mirror. Thanks for trying to help me. I don't know what I'm going to do now -- maybe remove the whole LARGE mirror and figure out from there. And here I thought it would be such an easy thing to do and finish up the redecorating of my bathroom -- that's all that's left is the new light fixture and Mirror Mate around the mirror!!!!

Old 12-14-07, 06:11 AM
E
Was the mirror cut around the elec. box. the two screws on the box hold the fixture in place. try removing the old fixture and see how its mounted.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: