How to remove large bathroom mirror

Old 03-21-10, 02:57 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question How to remove large bathroom mirror

I have a large mirror (1.1m x1.8m) on the wall above the bath in a house we have just move into. The mirror has a large crack top to bottom and I'm retiling the bathroom anyway so I want to remove it and replace it with tiles. The mirror seems to be supported by the existing tiles and has a thick layer of sealant along all edges. Any suggestions on how to remove the mirror safely - i.e without taking a lump hammer to it or cutting the selant and trying to prise it of the wall? I'm quite concerned about damaging the bath, myself or both...

Old 03-22-10, 07:42 AM
I watched a DIY program do this. They put numerous strips of duct tape, vertically and horizantly, on the mirror. They were then able to pry the mirror from the wall in one piece.
And if it breaks some more you won't have the pieces falling everywhere.
good luck.
david

Old 03-22-10, 12:00 PM
T
If the mirror is set flush with the tiles it is going to be a challenge. David's suggestion of covering it with tape is a good one no matter what method you try. Contact paper or something similar would cover it completely.

If you are removing the tiles also, I think I would do them first. Remove the sealant from the mirror and the grout from the surrounding tiles to see how it is really attached. Maybe even try to remove the first row of tiles before tackling the mirror.

I have heard of using piano wire to "saw" behind it if it is attached with an adhesive and they didn't get carried away with the stuff.

Don't forget safety. Goggles, leather gloves and long sleeves. Don't know if it is one of those urban legends but someone on another forum said a family member died doing this. Wasn't wearing long sleeves and cut an artery in the arm.

Old 03-23-10, 10:50 AM
M
Smile

Thank you both very much for your advice - I'm certainly going to be using tape to stop the mirror fragmenting and will be wearing gloves, goggles and a jacket when I do the work!

I was wondering whether it might be possible to use a glass cutter and some gentle tapping to break the mirror into sections before removing it? To be honest I've unly used a glass cutter on thin window glass - will it work on a fairly thick mirror?

Martin

Old 03-24-10, 04:16 AM
Received 12 Upvotes on 11 Posts
When glass is scored with a glass cutter, it must be tapped on the opposite side to open the cut. Therefore it's impossible in your situation.

Old 03-24-10, 10:11 AM
BE VERY VERY careful

A few weeks ago, I almost had the same problem. The mirror I was working with however, wasn't broken. Before I attempted this, I talked to several mirror installers and went on line to get information. What I was told is that it can be dangerous. So use all the safety stuff, the leather gloves NOT CLOTH eye protection (I used a face shield $3-5 @ harbor freight) also get 2 mirror suction handles the longer ones red handle $5 two garbage disposal wrenches & heavy picture wire. long sleeves heavy shoes.1. tape the mirror with duct tape very well Make a cuter by taking a length of picture wire & rap the ends of the wire around each wrench a few times stretching the wire tight between them keep it that way when you use it. 3. cover the sink with a blankets & cover the floor with rosin paper to protect it 4. Put the suction handle on the mirror MAKE SURE THEY ARE ON GOOD & TIGHT. have a helper hold the handles while you cut the mastic behind that piece with the wire.This is done by sliding the wire back & forth working it behind the mirror & hopefully it will come free NOTE If the piece goes to the bottom of the frame lift up on the mirror. The bottom of the frame could be attached to the wall the mirror might just be sitting in a rail that is attached to the wall. Your helper can remove it safely lifting up slightly same process for the other half. JUST DO IT WITH CARE!!! Kirk

Last edited by 4ksqd; 03-24-10 at 10:42 AM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: