reglue bathroom mirror

Old 09-04-10, 07:45 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
reglue bathroom mirror

We have a large bathroom mirror that is glued to the wall but is starting to come loose. How would be the best way to reglue it to the wall?

Old 09-04-10, 07:36 PM
O
Bunch of questions first:

Is the mirror on drywall, stucco, or other?

Loose on the top or side(s) ? How far out from the wall is it?

When you push on it at the loose point(s), does it spring back under pressure or simply feel loose and floppy?

How long has it been up, (or as long as you know)?

Do you see any black circles ( 1"-4" ) starting anywhere through the center of the mirror in the silvering (backing)?
Look closely for these as they may be hard to see if present, but its important.

I can offer a 'best fix' or a 'quick fix' if I know the above. Most important thing is it doesnt come down when nobodys looking.

In the meantime, I'd suggest you strap the top of the mirror to the wall with blue painters tape (just in case)

Old 09-05-10, 07:25 AM
R
Thank you for the reply:
1) It's on drywall
2) I feel it when I'm cleaning it and it's loose from the majority of the right side moving left aiming to the top - all of the top. It's about 1/4" away from the wall all across the top. The bottom feels secure.
3) It springs back
4) 10 years.
5) No
6) Would like to have best fix as we intend to get it fixed this weekend.

Old 09-05-10, 09:50 AM
O
Good on all answers! Sounds like you may just have a high stud behind the mirror that created pressure on the mastic and it finally let go.

Go to your local hardware, HD, Menards, Lowes and pick up a tube of 'Mirror Mastic'. Any manufacturer will work, just make sure its mirror mastic. It will be in a caulk cartridge.

Along the loose points, tape off with painters tape the painted wall at the junction of the mirror. Also tape the edge of the mirror at the same points as any mastic will show thats left on the non silvered portion. Cut a small tip in the cartridge and shoot 1/2 gun pump (straight down) behind the mirror about every 8-12" along the portion you want to re-adhere.
Work the mastic deeper with a putty knife about 2-3", then shoot a little bit more in on top (1/2 pump) and push it down again.
Now push the mirror into the wall. It will spring back out, but the built up mastic behind will 'bridge' the voids and set up hard in about 24 hours.
Take your putty knife and scrape off any excess mastic that squeezed out onto the tape. Pull the tape off on the mirror first. Then the tape on the wall. The big mission is to not get any mastic on the painted wall. It will not clean off

Good Luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: