How To Move Thin Tabletop Glass?

Old 02-23-11, 10:01 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How To Move Thin Tabletop Glass?

I need to move a piece of el cheapo glass 450 mi. I have a patio table with glass top. I'd like to take it to a different area. How do you do this?

I've thought about breaking the glass here, throwing it away, and getting a new piece at destination.

I'm hoping there's some way that will give me a pretty good chance of making it all the way with it intact.... I'll have some flexibility, as I'll be hauling it in a pickup truck.

Maybe putting it between a "sandwich of plywood" ? With other stuff in there and the sandwich between them, maybe that would work.

Any better thoughts?????

Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-11, 01:08 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Sandwich it in plywood, set it on its edge on a soft surface (doubled up blanket, etc.), wedge it so it won't move, and go. If it breaks, you are back at square one anyway. If it don't you have a bonus day.

Old 02-24-11, 02:53 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Way back when they use to use a wood crate and bury it in saw dust. It is best to transport on edge not flat. Glass companies always ship on edge.

I'd suggest a heavy card board box, wrap in bubble wrap then surround with Styrofoam in the box. A 4X8 sheet or two of foam insulation and bubble wrap will cost a lot less then a new top.

Old 02-25-11, 04:51 AM
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
It should be tempered glass if it's a patio table and therefore it about 6 times stronger than annealed glass. Take the suggestions above. On edge is the best way but laying it flat is OK as long as you don't put anything heavy on top.