Removing a 36 by 36 inches bathroom mirror from the wall -

Old 10-23-12, 02:13 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Removing a 36 by 36 inches bathroom mirror from the wall -

Just wondering if anyone has ever removed a large mirror from a bathroom wall? The mirror is about 36 by 36 and I believe was attached to the wall with some form of adhesive. The mirror looks like it could be 2 eighth's inches thick.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-12, 02:47 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Do you expect to remove it without any damage? Is it on a tile wall? Either way, I would tape some heavy paper over it or some plastic, just in case it breaks. You don't want any glass to fly across the room.

Old 10-23-12, 04:05 PM
Group Moderator
Received 187 Votes on 174 Posts
I would cover the face of the mirror with tape to contain the pieces then slide a sturdy putty knife or pry bar behind it to break it free from the mastic/adhesive. Expect that you will break the glass so wear gloves and safety glasses. If you get it down without breaking it... go buy a lottery ticket because you are in luck.

Old 10-24-12, 04:00 AM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Removing Mirror

I think I read a suggestion on this forum some time back to use some sort of string to saw through the adhesive. I do not know what kind of string. Maybe fishing line? Perhaps others will fill in the blanks.

Old 10-24-12, 04:41 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
I've used a wire saw in the past but not on a mirror that large. The plumbing dept. at the box stores have wire saws to cut through PVC pipe. Maybe you can look at it and see of you can find a spool of similar wire to make one large enough to try on your mirror.

Old 10-24-12, 08:39 AM
Group Moderator
Received 187 Votes on 174 Posts
I've used multi-stranded picture hanging wire. It' cheap, available in long lengths and the strands twisted form a bit of a saw tooth. It can work but it was a whole lot of work and I had to have a couple people to hold the mirror while another pair worked the wire. In the end it's much faster & easier to break the mirror.