removing bathroom mirrors

Old 03-30-13, 05:57 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
removing bathroom mirrors

We've recently moved into a house and the bathrooms have large mirrors that have begun to loose their 'mirror' around the edges. I'd like to replace them, but I can't figure out how they're attached. I don't see anything obvious.
Will someone please tell me how they're likely attached and how to get them off with the minimim amount of damage to the wall. We haven't painted yet, so we'd like to get these things down soon.

thanks.

Old 03-30-13, 06:02 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 431 Votes on 385 Posts
More than likely they were installed with mastic [glue] You'll probably wind up breaking the glass and damaging the wall ..... but the glass can be picked up and the wall repaired - don't know about the 7 years of bad luck

Old 03-30-13, 07:09 AM
F
Mirror Removal

I have tried to remove large mirrors from a bath wall, and always ended up breaking them, which seems to be Marksr's experience. The builders use either mastic glue or some large, double-sided tape.

If your intention is to replace the mirrors with new ones of the same size and type, you could leave the old ones up, paint up to the edges, and then cut and install some sort of trim to go around the border of your old mirror to cover up the loss of silver backing. If the loss of backing is only around the edges, then you would put some 2" glass or bright ceramic tile around the border of your mirror. The tile would stick to the mirror with mastic glue. You would have a custom looking mirror and not have to deal with broken glass, wall repairs, and the possibility of 7 years of bad luck.

Just an idea.

Chuck

Old 03-30-13, 07:49 AM
H
That's what I was afraid of. Interesting idea to just go over the existing one though, I may do that.

I appreciate it.

Old 03-31-13, 04:36 AM
Received 9 Votes on 9 Posts
Sounds like you have what's know as "black edge". If it hasn't spread too far, you can purchase 2" beveled mirror strips from your local glass shop and apply them to the mirror to hide the damaged edges.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: