Reframing a shower door

Old 11-18-16, 07:32 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Reframing a shower door

I would like to remodel my bathroom. I'm going very slow and figured I'd start with a smaller sub-project. I've noticed shower doors are surprisingly expensive. Would it be less expensive to salvage the glass and just update the frame? How do I remove the old frame? Are there any creative alternatives to the standard metal/plastic frames, like wood, bamboo or something else?

Oh... My shower is an alcove shower. The door is a single pane of textured glass that pivots on a hinge.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-16, 04:53 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
It is highly doubtful, if not an impossibility, to find just a frame for your glass. It would probably cost as much as a door, anyway. The door to the shower would probably be the last thing installed anyway, so if you are remodeling the entire bathroom you have more fish to fry before you get there. If your door is glass and not plastic, it is tempered as well. You can make a choice to use a plastic glass door which is considerably less expensive than tempered glass. Just throwing that out there.

Old 11-19-16, 05:37 AM
Received 7 Votes on 7 Posts
Having been in the business, I agree 100% with chandler. Home Depot has many inexpensive shower doors. Alcove Shower Doors - Shower Doors - Showers - The Home Depot

Old 11-19-16, 02:07 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Well now I know

Okay. Just thought I'd ask.

Yeah I know I have much bigger fish to fry. I just figured I'd start with some of the smaller components. Accumulate as much as I can slowly to spread the materials cost out. Then I'd have that stuff primed and ready to install once I've completed the bigger stuff. Sub-projects like upcycling an old vanity and accumulating all the plumbing components beforehand and set them aside till I'm ready to install them. Thought it might be more cost effective that way.

I did explore Home Depot today and the individual shower door parts didn't have as intimidating a cost as I previously thought. Thank you for the advice.