Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Hardware for Securing Mirror to Molly Bolts

NJ

01-03-18, 02:39 AM   #1  
Hardware for Securing Mirror to Molly Bolts

I am hanging a bathroom vanity mirror, and I need some help. I removed the old frameless mirror, and I thought that I would use the molly bolts that are already in place. They are on the left and right sides. My issue is that I don't know what type of hook to use. I have a mirror mounting kit, and nearly all of the hooks seem to be secured with a nail. There is one stud directly in the center, so I did put a hook there. I placed it at the same level as the molly bolts, but I'm thinking that may be too low. I am using wire, so I assume that the wire will be slightly higher in the center. Also, is it okay for the d-rings to point upwards? I saw something online, and they mentioned that they should be pointed inwards (towards each other). I appreciate any assistance.

Sponsored Links

NY

01-03-18, 03:46 AM   #2  
A pic might help.

Most mirrors are held with clips that are in turn inserted into the wall with plastic anchors or molly bolts.

https://www.google.com/search?q=mirr...w=1280&bih=569

NJ

01-03-18, 03:59 AM   #3  
Those are for frameless mirrors though, right? I had a frameless one, but this new one has a frame. There are 2 d-rings on the back left/right. I ran wire between the two rings and now need to mount it to the wall. I can upload a picture shortly.

NY

01-03-18, 04:06 AM   #4  
Depends on what it weighs. If it's heavy use more mollys in the wall and drape the wire over them to distribute the load. Just be sure the wire is securely attached to the "D" rings. You should be good.

Group Moderator

NE

01-03-18, 06:11 AM   #5  
Yes, depends on the weight. But since it has the d-rings, it must ge small / light enough that they intend for it to be mounted on picture hooks. Use the hook with the right weight rating for the job. No wire is needed, just place the hook in the correct spot. Don't try to relocate the hook once you nail it in. Measure the d rings on the mirror and make sure they are symetrical... then use a level to place the hooks at the correct height on the wall.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/OOK-Prof...0918/100039637

NJ

01-03-18, 06:53 AM   #6  
Posted By: XSleeper Yes, depends on the weight. But since it has the d-rings, it must ge small / light enough that they intend for it to be mounted on picture hooks. Use the hook with the right weight rating for the job. No wire is needed, just place the hook in the correct spot. Don't try to relocate the hook once you nail it in. Measure the d rings on the mirror and make sure they are symetrical... then use a level to place the hooks at the correct height on the wall.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/OOK-Prof...0918/100039637
Aren't those hooks supposed to be secured into the stud? I only have 1 stud in the middle, and I put one of those hooks there. I wanted to put 2 more at the left/right molly bolts, but the openings are too small for a screw. Can I just hang the wire over the bare screws?

Forum Topic Moderator

CAL

01-03-18, 09:07 AM   #7  
Don't hang the wire over a screw, that creates a situation where the wire is tugging at the screw.
The picture hangers X linked to do not require a stud. The large ones can hold something like 100 pounds in drywall alone.
The secret to the strength is to hold the hanger firmly against the wall and then drive the pins in downward at an angle.
The pin holes will guide the pins down at an angle as designed, they are very strong.

Brian
Cal Contractor

Group Moderator

NE

01-03-18, 10:05 AM   #8  
What Brian said.

Place the mirror where you want it, mark the location of the d-rings. (Check your marks with a level) Put picture hooks into the drywall. Hang the mirror. No stud required.

Search this Thread