Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Decorating, Design, Painting, Upholstery and Fabrics Center > Glass and Mirrors
Reload this Page >

Should I seal the bottom of the mirror frame to the mirror itself?

Old 10-26-18, 03:46 PM

Have a home with two bathrooms, both with builder grade mirrors. Two plastic clips on the top hold the mirror and the bottom has a gold-colored metal 'cradle' where the mirror sits. As the gold has been messing with my style and some black delamination started happening in few smaller spots, I wanted to build frames.

I bought some 3 1/4 MDF trim, cut it all, hollowed out the parts needed for plastic clips and the bottom metal edge. Painted the bottom piece front and back. Painted all sides edge side from the back so I do not see anything odd in the reflection. Glued to the mirror using Liquid Nails Fuze-It and finished the corners. So all is well.

Now my question is:

Should I seal the bottom section to the glass? Meaning - if some water got on the mirror, it could run down between mirror and the frame. Just thinking ahead for when I need to do kids bathroom because they have this uncanny ability to get the mirror wet.

If sealing, I am guessing clear silicone would be the thing to use?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-18, 04:42 PM
Group Moderator
IMO that would look horrible. Also, silicone is not readily paintable unless you use a pigmented shellac to prime it first. So i guess it depends on what ur most concerned about.

Old 10-27-18, 06:19 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Even with pigmented shellac silicone caulk doesn't paint great. They do sell a clear latex caulk. It goes on milky, dries clear but will return to milky when wet. It does go back to clear when dry.

Is it too late to use real wood instead of MDF in the kids bath?

Old 10-27-18, 08:47 AM
The back of the wood frame should be painted flat black so that there is no reflection. It would be wise to seal the bottom of the frame to prevent the black edge on the mirror from progressing further. Any clear sealant will work but try to keep it to a very fine bead.

Old 10-27-18, 08:36 PM
Ah, some great tips! Yes, I could use real wood in kids bath; also - did not even think of painting the rear black - doh!

Gives me something to think about - thanks!

Old 10-28-18, 04:44 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Don't know that I ever painted one black but I've stained quite a few custom made mirror frames and you always want to stain the routed out edge because somewhere that part of the frame will be reflected in the mirror.

Old 10-28-18, 06:07 PM
So on the mirror that I already built and is in place, I did some testing: had a piece of the trim and I glued it to the mirror using masking tape LOL. Then I went to 'sealing' the edge of this test trim to the mirror, was going to try caulk and then something siliconized.

Turns out that if I apply white caulk in a small bead, then with a finger kind of squeeze it in and then use some baby wipes to try to wipe it all off, what ends up happening is that there is this very small and fine bead of caulk left between the glass and the frame.

So then I removed the test piece, cleaned the mirror and did all that on the mirror itself = awesome. Can't even tell it's there really!

Old 10-29-18, 05:16 AM
Good method...thanks sharing the end result.