Re-glue heavy mirror onto particle-board cabinet door

Old 10-07-19, 03:21 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Re-glue heavy mirror onto particle-board cabinet door

This morning I found that the glass mirror that extends across the full surface of one one of three doors on my bathroom cabinet was rubbing against the glass on the neighboring door. When I looked closely, I saw that overnight, the glass mirror had slid sideways (i.e in its own plane), pivoting slightly, fortunately, rather than falling off completely or sliding down onto the stone counter below.

Yikes! The glue holding the mirror to the door has evidently degraded over the years – I moved in here 15 years ago, but the place was built 30 years ago and I'm pretty sure that the cabinet is original.

So rather than wait for the mirror to fall off (!) – right onto anybody unfortunate enough to be sitting on the commode beneath, shower of sharp glass shards, etc. – I took the door off its hinges, laid it flat, and, lo and behold, the mirror slid off freely with gentle pressure. A lucky escape…

As you can see from the photographs, the mirror had been held in place for 30 years with nine dabs of adhesive. It is 36”x17”x1/8” so it must weigh about 11 lb. The substrate, the door, is standard 3/4” encapsulated particle board (also see photo).

So my plan, as it stands, is to remove the tabs of glue, then re-glue and remount.

Questions:

1. What solvent do we use for removing that kind of glue?

2. Any recommendations for adhesive to use for the re-glueing?

3. My instinct is to use at least twice as much glue as was originally used. What do you think?

4. Any other tips?

Thanks All!

Name:  m1.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  25.8 KB

Name:  m2.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  19.8 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 10-07-19 at 04:03 PM. Reason: imported/cropped/resized pictures
Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-19, 04:05 PM
Received 95 Votes on 86 Posts
They make a adhesive that is for mirrors (liquid nails), but I've use regular adhesive without incident.

I would use caution with trying to be too aggressive with the adhesive, the silver oxide is a coating on the back side of the mirror that gives it reflection and removing the adhesive might remove the coating!

Low Altitude voted this post useful.
Old 10-07-19, 04:09 PM
Group Moderator
Received 344 Votes on 322 Posts
My advice is do nothing with the mirror. Leave the glue as it is.
The mirror backing is easily scratched/damaged by scraping or chemicals.

You can remove the glue from the door.

Add new glue next to or around the old glues spots plus additional new locations.
Weight the mirror down over the door once glued for at least 24 hours to dry.

Most construction adhesives will work. Make sure it lists mirrors on it.
Gorilla construction adhesive is ok for mirrors.
Loctite PL250 mirror adhesive is another choice to use.
Mirror adhesive

Old 10-07-19, 04:17 PM
Thank you so much I will likely play safe and use Liquid Nails.

As you say, I'm cautious about the right solvent and the right method of removing the existing glue, precisely because I'm nervous about stripping off that back side coating.

Thanks again.

Old 10-07-19, 04:24 PM
Wow thanks I think you've likely saved me from a fatal mistake. I'll leave the existing glue in place. I would not have thought of that because instinct / experience teaches that flush surfaces glue better, but I follow your reasoning exactly this is a special case. Glad i asked! Like you say, I'll scrape the glue off the door to minimize the separation, and I'll use plenty of glue when I re-glue.

I'll also weight it down while it cures and give it a couple of days to be safe I wouldn't have thought of that either.

Many, many thanks!

My advice is do nothing with the mirror. Leave the glue as it is.
The mirror backing is easily scratched/damaged by scraping or chemicals.

You can remove the glue from the door.

Add new glue next to or around the old glues spots plus additional new locations.
Weight the mirror down over the door once glued for at least 24 hours to dry.

Most construction adhesives will work. Make sure it lists mirrors on it.
Gorilla construction adhesive is ok for mirrors.
Loctite PL250 mirror adhesive is another choice to use.
Mirror adhesive