Help: fixing large crooked mirror in bathroom (pics)

Old 01-02-20, 08:43 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help: fixing large crooked mirror in bathroom (pics)

So we have a large (8'x3'x.25") mirror. The mirror is glued to the bathroom drywall and supported by two bottom mirror clips. One of the mirror clips has slipped slightly. So now the mirror is crooked, about 1/4 inch along it's length. Top picture shows the slippage

We are putting a frame over the mirror, gluing molding, to make it look even.

But my question is: Is this safe? is there anything I can do to prevent it slipping further. Can I wedge something under the mirror clips. The mirror seems still firmly on there but more so on the unslipped side.

Thanks for your advice guys!

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-20, 09:15 PM
Group Moderator
Received 282 Votes on 258 Posts
If its slipping, its likely because the anchor in the bottom clip has failed. So shimming it would not be a good solution. I would take the mirror down and install new a pair of new spring clips. Each set has a spring loaded top piece and a new bottom bracket.

Just google mirror spring clips.

That would be better than trimming the mirror with a moulding.

Old 01-02-20, 09:29 PM
Group Moderator
Received 474 Votes on 444 Posts
The mirror is glued to the bathroom drywall and supported by two bottom mirror clips.
If the mirror has shifted...... the glue to the sheetrock is no longer holding. That is a big mirror and requires a lot of clips if there is no glue.

Old 01-03-20, 05:50 AM
Thanks for the responses XSleeper and PJMax.

My concern is I cannot handle the mirror by myself, so taking it down is something I wanted to avoid. Plus, one side of the mirror is quite firmly stuck to the wall and I have read horror stories of exploding mirrors as they are pried loose.

I was thinking of attaching a strip of moulding to the drywall along the top and sides and then gluing the frame to both the mirror and the strip to provide some security. Would that work?

Alternatively, are there any mirror clips that can secure the bottom without removing the mirror. They would get covered by the molding, so I am not concerned with how it looks.

Thanks again.

Old 01-03-20, 06:10 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 27 Votes on 26 Posts
The only way that would work is if you cut a dado into frame big enough to hide the shift. Frame would contact the shifted side. You would need screws and anchors to hold frame in. I would not try glue.

Old 01-03-20, 06:19 AM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Your mirror weighs nearly 80 lbs. Because of weight and size, the mirror could be dangerous for one person to handle. However, the mirror is also dangerous as is so my advice is to do what you can to secure the mirror (unless you can get assistance) in a manner similar to what what you have in mind but much more securely.

It looks as though the mirror is only s small distance from a vanity top. If so, I would support the mirror above a piece of trim that's secured to the wall with anchors and sits on the vanity top for as much of the 8' as possible. Similarly, secure the mirror around the top and sides with trim secured to the wall with anchors. If you want to use adhesive, that's fine as additional security, but don't use adhesive in place of wall anchors.

Old 01-03-20, 06:42 AM
Ok thanks, I was planning to screw the strip to the drywall. But I will now definitely screw the molding onto the strip as well.

Tony, can you please explain this a little more "I would support the mirror above a piece of trim that's secured to the wall with anchors and sits on the vanity top for as much of the 8' as possible."

The gap between the bottom of the mirror and the lip ranges from 1/4 to 1/2 inch. But the lip is only about 1/2 inch wide. See picture. So I would try and squeeze a piece of trim as a sort of shimmy. Do I have to worry about expansion during the summer, we live in AZ, it gets hot!

Attached Images  
Old 01-03-20, 09:44 AM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
The gap between the bottom of the mirror and the lip ranges from 1/4 to 1/2 inch.
Let me modify my suggestion a bit based on your photo and comment. I suspect one of the reasons for your issue is that several brackets like the one shown in the photo are not sufficient to hold up the mirror. More support is clearly needed and should be the priority.

Unfortunately, though, screwing into 1/4" wide wood is not practical. While not ideal, a practical solution would be to use OOK or Prime-Line clips which can be found at Home Depot or many other locations. They hold only 15-20 lbs each so you'd need at 6 and use anchors.

Old 01-03-20, 01:02 PM
Thanks Tony, appreciate your time! I have located and ordered the clips. I think it's the best solution for now.

I'll update this thread when I am done.