Help, with hanging this mirror....

Old 05-19-20, 08:27 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Help, with hanging this mirror....

Evening fellas, trust all is well and everyone is safe. Long story short, the mrs and I just moved into a new space and we have this mirror which woiuld look good in this location. Unfortunately, there is a steel beam behind the exact spot of the hole. I tried 3 different anchors - none of them worked, hence the pics of the holes in the wall. The last thing I tried was picture hangers which I actully thought would work with difficuly because of the hook being being just a tiny bit larger than the hole in the back of the mirror, but work nonetheless.

Finally my question is a simple one: 1) HOW CAN I SUCCESSFULLY HANG THIS PICTURE ON THE WALL WITH A STUD RIGHT BEHIND IT? 2) 2AND CAN I DRILL DIRECTLY INTO THE STUD?

Someone please save me from myself and stir me in the right direction to complete the task.

Im over here quarnatining and getting my DIY on, and at the same tim tearing my house apart. Can someone please give me some assistance.

Kind regards,
Ant

Attached Images      
Old 05-19-20, 08:59 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,152 Upvotes on 3,729 Posts
That mirror looks pretty heavy. It would probably be better to hang it on the metal studs.
I see it needs two fasteners. Are the screw hanging cups 16" apart ?
That would be typical stud spacing.

Old 05-19-20, 11:50 PM
Received 1,211 Upvotes on 1,099 Posts
Google "french cleat" it's a style of hanger that is used for heavy objects like mirrors,

Whatever you do you need a hanger(s) that span at least 2 studs to distribute the weight and stabilize the mirror!

Old 05-20-20, 04:47 AM
Received 12 Upvotes on 11 Posts
What you have on the mirror are "keyhole" hangers. The head of the screw must go into the round hole and then slide the mirror down into the slot. This is not a good system since you must locate the screws in the exact locations and they must be into a stud or a good anchor. You can convert the keyhole hanger by using this hanger with a screw and nut in the keyhole and then using picture frame wire across the hangers and use 2 wall mirror hangers without worrying about studs. Mirror should not be over 50lbs.

Norm201 voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: