Minor scratch on sliding glass door - repairable?

Old 01-21-21, 11:52 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Minor scratch on sliding glass door - repairable?

So a friend had a cooking stone in hand and went thru my sliding door thinking it was closed. Left a 3 inch scratch. Its not terribly noticeable but I can feel it with my fingernail. Wondering if there is anything that might fix this, less replacing the glass? For example, I know they sell the automotive glass fixes. Not sure if anything like that would actually work or just make it worse. Thanks in advance

Old 01-21-21, 12:31 PM
Received 462 Votes on 430 Posts
Correct they make special polishes for glass that contain cerium oxide.

You can buy kits that have a small pad and you use with a drill and you basically grind the glass down till the scratch is gone.

Its a very slow process but I did that last summer to two cars that had a scuff mark from the wiper blade so it wasn't too bad, it does work!

Old 01-21-21, 12:34 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Oh thanks. Is this best to go to like a pepboys for this or could you point me to a similar product?

Also here is a picture of the scratch

Old 01-21-21, 12:37 PM
Received 80 Votes on 68 Posts
Sliding glass door is probably tempered. If the scratch itself does not cause the glass to break into thousands of small squares, doing something to it like polishing or drilling might. Auto windshield has embedded plastic layer and reacts differently.

Old 01-21-21, 12:43 PM
Group Moderator
Received 854 Votes on 782 Posts
I would not recommend trying anything. Tempered glass scratches easily. But i doubt you would break it. And unless you are very patient I suspect you will just make it worse. Its like polishing a mirror for a telescope... takes a long time.

Old 01-22-21, 05:56 AM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
A scuff is possible to polish out but if you polish a scratch that you can feel with your finger nail you will end up with a distorted area.

marksr voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: