Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Decorating, Design, Painting, Upholstery and Fabrics Center > Glass and Mirrors
Reload this Page >

Need quick help: U-rail under bathroom mirror -- what function does it have?

Old 06-29-21, 06:24 AM
C
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I need some quick help as I am in the middle of a bathroom project (I'm not a professional). I have old mirrors in my bathroom and they had a U-rail (see pic) underneath. Unclear how it was initially attached (it was loose), but my inclination is that I want to put clear bathroom silicone into the entire rail and glue it to the underside of the mirror. But I can't help but think that this rail may have some sort of moisture-catching function and shouldn't be glued to the mirror but instead just be glued to the wall behind the mirror. This is further substantiated by the spacer you see inside the rail -- so it never made direct contact with the bottom edge of the mirror before.

What's the right way to re-attach the rail? There's just drywall behind the mirror, so I definitely want to prevent any moisture behind it.

Thank you!

Old 06-29-21, 07:23 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Usually that channel is fastened. It probably sat on your old backsplash and was used mainly to finish the edge of the mirror. It has a rubber setting block in it and could have been used to help level/plumb the mirror in the event that the backsplash and counter were not perfectly level. But you don't use silicone on mirrors! It can eat the finish off of them.

Mirror adhesive is a specialty sealant and that is the only thing you should use. And you likely only need to use a few dots of it, then hold it temporarily with tape until the adhesive sets.

Old 06-30-21, 05:57 AM
Received 12 Upvotes on 11 Posts
It looks like water sat in the J molding and caused what we call "black edge" at the bottom of the mirror. If you plan on putting it back, drill some holes in the bottom of the J molding so water won't sit, put another block at the other end and silicone it to the wall. Can't tell how badly the mirror is damaged.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: