Large mirror on bathroom wall slowly sagging how to fix?

Old 03-23-23, 09:35 AM
D
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Large mirror on bathroom wall slowly sagging how to fix?

I have a large bathroom mirror over the vanity on my wife's side. There's an L shaped lip that I guess held up the mirror. On the left side, the vanity is starting to pull away, maybe an 1/8 inch gap and the mirror is starting to slide down there. What is the best way to fix this? Should I remove the mirror and hang it again or try to lever it back into place and somehow get the vanity against the wall again?

Old 03-23-23, 10:01 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,905 Upvotes on 1,711 Posts
When dealing with mirrors you need to be pretty careful as they can fillet your arm pretty quickly if they break. Pro's use suction cups to handle them.

Assuming the mirror is not glued, it should be fairly easy to remove. They often have a spring loaded clip on top, so you lift them up until the bottom will come out of the lip that is holding it. So if you can lift the mirror up and remove it, that might help you work on the vanity.

I don't advise prying on the edge of the mirror as that pressure could easily break it. But if you took a 6" wide putty knife and put it under the mirror, you might be able to lift or gently pry under that putty knife and get the vanity shoved back tight. But removing the mirror first might be advisable... l don't know, can't see it.

Then you'd need to get the vanity fastened so it doesn't move.

Old 03-23-23, 12:47 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
How big is the mirror ?
I'd like to see a picture of it..... How to insert pictures.

Old 03-23-23, 02:08 PM
C
Received 350 Upvotes on 293 Posts
"L shaped lip . . ."

Is that a typo? L shaped clips are often used to hold up mirrors. If that's what you have, the mounting screws for the clips may be pulling out.

Old 03-23-23, 03:57 PM
D
No, the vanity back is L shaped. It rests on the back

Old 03-23-23, 04:11 PM
D
Old 03-23-23, 05:19 PM
Received 388 Upvotes on 337 Posts
It looks like the mirror is surface mounted and not glued. It appears that it was just resting on top of the vanity integral backsplash and fastened with mirror clips at the top.

I think you can remove the top clips and remove the mirror carefully. It will be heavy and not a one person job. Then you need to fasten the vanity tight to the wall. Rather than rely on the vanity for support, install mirror clips or a channel at the bottom to avoid the problem in future.

Old 03-23-23, 06:51 PM
D
Ok. I need to get somebody to do that. Thanks.

Old 03-27-23, 12:19 PM
D
Say, where would I get something like this?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: