making bathroom mirror

Old 01-13-02, 03:40 AM
dianemarg
Visiting Guest
making bathroom mirror

I would like to make a framed bathroom mirror which is 30" x 40" to be applied to our plaster walls. I have heard that we can apply/glue a mirror and frame to a 1/4" MDF board and hang it but I'm uncertain of two things: 1) how do you actually hang it? 2) with a mirror that big can you be sure that a construction glue (PL200??) will hold the mirror for an extended time in a sometimes moist bathroom? Thanks for your help!

Old 01-13-02, 05:31 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Installing a bathroom mirror

You can purchase preframed mirrors at home centers and other stores. Large pieces of mirror are typically installed with clips and/or a high quality mirror adhesive. Clips are always a good backup in case of adhesive failure. Follow manufacturer's instructions for surface prep for adhesive use. Surfaces should be cleaned and sealed prior to installation. Mirrors that have been glued to the wall are a challenge to remove and require drywall repairs.

Mirrors should not be installed on freshly painted or plastered walls. Always follow manufacturer's instructions. Mirror mastics are designed to remain flexible and soft when dry to compensate for any movement in the house as well as changes in temperature and humidity. Placing mirrors to close to the wall can create stress problems and perhaps cracking as well as cause moisture to collect behind the mirror. Using a J-channel and mastic tends to allow for proper clearance to allow for ventilation behind the mirror.

It is always best to use approved, high-quality mirror mastic with back up support system for mirrors.

Old 01-16-02, 08:23 AM
dianemarg
Visiting Guest
Thanks twelvepole! The ready made mirrors of this size run about $200 around here. The 5 mil plate mirror from a glass shop runs around $50 - hence the incentive to make it ourselves! However, after phoning around for prices I've been told that you shouldn't hang a framed mirror in a bathroom at all! I was told that any frame on a mirror will cause moisture buildup between the frame and the mirror and breakdown the silvering. What's your opinion on that? I've certainly seen framed mirrors in bathrooms in photos in decorating magazines! If we mounted a plain mirror with clips and spring clips (to get it away from the wall at the top) directly onto the wall, could we then apply a frame on top of the mirror and screw it to the wall? What about using a bead of clear silicone caulking where the mirror hits the frame? Ideas? Thanks for your help!

Old 01-16-02, 11:19 AM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Installing a mirror

Many people prefer framed bathroom mirrors. A quick search on the internet will reveal that many bath suppliers sell framed bathroom mirrors. Some manufacturers go so far as to back mirrors with vinyl. Some are also equipped with defoggers. Of course, with the greater quality comes the higher price. Like everything else, there is a range of quality and price in mirrors.

Mirror manufacturers recommend that cut mirrors be installed with mastic and a mechanical fastener, whether it be clips, decorative moldings, J-channels or screws.

Manufacturers of better quality mirrors have polished and sealed the edges of the mirror to prevent moisture and humidity from penetrating the reflective backing and eventually tarnishing or oxidizing the mirror. Thus, whether or not the mirror has sealed edges seems to be a quality issue as far as moisture is concerned.

Most moisture issues in bathrooms are secondary to inadequate ventilation, particularly a bathroom exhaust fan that is not powerful enough to exchange the bathroom air at least 8 times an hour. In other words, a bathroom fan should have the ability to adequately exchange so many cubic feet per minute (CFMs) for the size of the bathroom. Running the fan for at least 30 minutes after bathing also helps alleviate moisture problems.

Old 01-17-02, 11:07 PM
merlo
Visiting Guest
I agree with twelvepole that with adequate ventilation, the frame shouldn't harm the mirror. Most glass companies have mirror edge sealant available, and will apply it for you if you request it when you order the mirror. You could apply silicone to the front of the mirror if you want, but silicone will damage the silvering if applied to the mirror backing, which is what you're tryng to avoid. Mirror mastic is the only adhesive that should be applied to the backing of a mirror if you choose to glue it to the wall.

Old 10-04-08, 04:26 PM
U
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Even i agree with twelve people he is absolutely right the frame shouldn't harm the mirro

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: