GIS Data question

Old 07-10-07, 06:54 PM
GIS Data question

I'm not sure where to ask this but was hoping someone could tell me what the 's' means next to the feet measurement on a GIS map. I have a map of my property and one side says 54(s) and I'm not sure what the 's' means. I measured 54 feet but it can't be right.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-07, 07:28 AM
The "s" stands for "seconds" if it is a GIS measurement...

Old 07-11-07, 06:31 PM
Originally Posted by jemayes View Post
The "s" stands for "seconds" if it is a GIS measurement...
Thanks. I'm using emapsplus.com and it is just showing the one side of my propery as having a measurement with the "s". Are the other measurements in feet? How do I determine how many feet the measurement with the "s" is? It is 54(s).

Old 07-13-07, 10:46 AM
Measurement

We need more info.

Have you actually measured? What is the actual measurement in feet of the side marked 54(s)? Does the plat also have direction in degrees and minutes?

Some surveys were done using chains(66 feet) or another unit called rods(16.5 feet).

Old 07-14-07, 07:12 PM
That's what I'm not sure of. The side in question is the one along the street. There is only one marker there so I can't measure. All of the other sides on my map do not have the "s" so I assumed those were in feet but I could be completely wrong. I don't see any degrees. The side with the 54(s) only says 54(s).

Old 07-17-07, 09:27 AM
It's not a measurement, it's a location spot. You can't give the "s" a unit because it it varies throughout the world, because of the converging longitude lines. The 54(s) is just a location spot measurement for someone to find that spot on earth. There should be other data before that because seconds is the lowest unit, you might have have found the hour and minute measurements as well.

What are you trying to do? Measure your property? If you define what you are trying to do we might be able to help you more......

Old 07-17-07, 11:46 AM
Gis

What is the "approximate" length of the side in question? Surely, you can get some sort of estimate. I am trying to determine if the 54 is related to some particular unit of measure of distance.

A copy of what you are looking at would be helpful if you could post it on Photobucket and give us the link address.

Help us so we can help you.

Search this Thread