Garmin 260W

Old 09-06-08, 09:27 AM
Garmin 260W

Just bought a nuvi 260W. I am still learning and have read the quick start manual. (This doesn't tell you much). Is there a detailed manual available? Anyway one of the things I want to do is basically use this thing as a compass off road and on foot. I know it does it I just have to fiddle with it (or employ help from someone in this forum... LOL) I really dont mean hiking, but it probably will. One thing I specifically mean is I go to air shows and you can literally lose your car, friends, etc. there because the bases are huge. I want to get out of my car and program in location and when finished basically "hone in" on my vehicle, or program in coordinates of friends who also have GPS and find them.
P.S. Somewhere in the unit I DID find a screen where you punch in coordinates but what to do with them...What settings, etc.?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-08, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator
The instruction to do this is basically the same as in the post below yours.

The only difference is that there will be a way to create a way point from your current position rather that the single "Man Overboard" button that portable units have.

Old 09-08-08, 04:20 PM
The Garmin site has ALL their manuals on-line:
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/store/ma...=134&pID=13381

fred

Old 09-08-08, 04:47 PM
Garmin 260W

1: I didn't quite understand the post below mine
2: The manuals that are on-line are the same as came with my unit. They are only a few pages long and don't tell you much of anything

Old 09-08-08, 06:16 PM
Originally Posted by fewalt View Post
The Garmin site has ALL their manuals on-line:
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/store/ma...=134&pID=13381

fred
Well, pardon me!

My 750 quick start manual and FULL 60 page manual is on line.
But i see now that only the quick start manual is there for your 260W. Don't understand that!!!
(my 750 came with qs manual only.)

fred

Old 09-08-08, 07:59 PM
Super Moderator
I looked around and found the common complaint that the only manual available does not offer much detail.

There would be a way to store your current position.
On portable units there is a mark button.
I believe on some vehicle units like yours you would use the touch screen by touching the vehicle symbol where there should be a way to save the current position as a way point or a favorite
What to do after this should be similar to the other thread.

Old 09-09-08, 03:40 PM
260w

I actually E-mailed Garmin and got a reply. What they told me is basically what you said. When I want to mark my position just touch the screen and save the location, then to find that location go into the "wrench" menu and switch to "off road" .I haven't actually tried it yet but I will soon. Thanks for the help.
I check back here from time to time so if anybody has anything to add I will receive it