Garmin 65LM 6" GPS Navigator

Old 03-10-16, 11:03 AM
Garmin 65LM 6" GPS Navigator

My question is concerning subscription fees for the GPS orientation. Is there a fee or is this device a road map collection that doesn't indicate where you are on the map.

I was assuming the GPS would have a satellite involved which would have a subscription renewal attached. The ads for it, though, say no fees.

Appreciate the help.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-16, 11:27 AM
Group Moderator
The map updates are free. It even says so in big print on their webpage.

I will warn you that the database updates are HUGE! You do not want to do it on a metered connection like if you get your Internet access via satellite. Even on a high speed connection it can take hours. I usually start the update before leaving work and let it run through the night. Just make sure to turn off your power saving features so your computer doesn't go to sleep during the download.

Old 03-10-16, 11:36 AM
Thanks Pilot. I saw that the map updates are free, but how does the orientation work in being able to give you, say, turn by turn directions. The GPS, I thought may have a subscription fee. Or is the only charge for lifetime useage the original purchase price?

The only navigation I have done anything with was the Onstar in a car which had an annual sub fee.

Old 03-10-16, 12:50 PM
Super Moderator
Don't know if this helps, but I have a TomTom and the turn by turn directions are free. I can't imagine the Garmin would charge or everyone would buy a TomTom.

Old 03-10-16, 01:14 PM
This is from a contributing writer in a science magazine regarding Garmin and GPS:

"The 24 navigation satellites placed in orbit around the earth by the U.S. Department of Defense transmit signals that anyone can use free of charge. Garmin manufactures a wide range of GPS devices that use the signals to identify locations, and no subscriptions are required to use these devices. "

Thanks for the responses.

Old 03-10-16, 01:37 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I use a Nuvi 1450 LMT, which means it has "lifetime maps and traffic". I have never been charged for any services. I just make sure I buy replacements that have LMT on it. Otherwise you do have to buy updates. Turn by turn directions are inherent with the GPS.

The only problem I have is Garmin has probably sunsetted the 1450, as it does not recognize my GPS for updating. I have tried several computers and none will work. "Traffic" is awesome. It lets you know if there is a traffic problem ahead in green-yellow-red icons. Once you get accustomed to it, the GPS will direct you around severe accidents or delays, but you have to ask for it to do so.

Old 03-10-16, 04:38 PM
Group Moderator
There is no fee of any type with my Garmin. Street map database and turn by turn directions are free. And to add insult to injury the $100 Garmin provides better directions than the $5k technology nav package in my car.

Once you get to know your device visit the Garmin website if you get bored around holidays. They have free voice and icon downloads available. Around halloween I have a scary vampire giving directions and around Christmas a squeaky elf... and when driving they occasionally make little wise cracks.

Old 03-10-16, 04:40 PM
That sounds like fun, Pilot. Thanks for the information.