Garmin map updating

Old 04-23-16, 07:37 PM
Garmin map updating

I broke down and bought a used Garmin 2597 LMT and jumped right into updating the software and maps. Through the Garmin Express it's pretty simple, but I hit a wall with the computer not having enough room to download the maps.

I thought it would simply download them to the device, but apparently it works with the computer as a middleman and swaps the map files as a type of download and installation.

My question is how does that work? Will the old maps be replaced by the new files coming out of temp file on the computer, that being the reason for the large disk space?

The software update went right through, but the map update starting coughing a little. I was able to move some files around and free up some hard drive space and it's running the map update - about ten hours worth, but Pilot warned me of that.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-16, 07:50 PM
Group Moderator
I have lifetime maps on my similar model. When I tried updating the maps I got a warning that the GPS was out of memory. I'm still running on two year old maps. I was going to contact Garmin but hadn't yet.

Old 04-23-16, 08:12 PM
I saw something like that too while I was surfing for an answer. Apparently the suggestion is to add a memory card, but I don't know if that's something you take it apart to do like a computer. There is a small slot on the bottom of it - maybe that's where it goes?

Old 04-23-16, 08:54 PM
Group Moderator
I put the memory card in. You can put music and pictures on it via the USB cord. When I connect to my laptop..... I see the card..... but the unit doesn't use it. I wanted to put the maps on it.

I sorta put it aside but I need to get back to it.