Cell phone GPS

Old 07-08-17, 11:24 AM
C
Received 350 Upvotes on 293 Posts
Cell phone GPS

Rental car company wanted $19 a day for GPS. For our 10 day rental we were considering buying one instead. Then a friend suggested WAZE a free GPS app that you can download for cell phones. We used it for the entire trip and found it every bit as accurate and informative as the built in NAV system in our Jeep.

It also has traffic, accident, construction and police warnings uploaded real time by other users.

Old 07-08-17, 11:32 AM
Super Moderator
Received 388 Upvotes on 316 Posts
Google Maps works well also.

Old 07-08-17, 03:08 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
I have a Garmin portable auto GPS that works well. It was last years model so it was a bit less than $100. Unfortunately updating the database takes several hours so plan ahead. The GPS is very good and achieves a lock when my cell phone won't and it works in areas with no cell coverage.

My cell phone works well enough in 95+% of the places I travel. It's GPS is not as fast locking in or noting turns as the Garmin but it saves having to travel with one more electronic thing. Searching for things like a place to eat is much easier with Google and Google Maps. Just remember to bring a cigarette to USB adapter and a USB cable to keep your phone charged in the car. Some cars have built in USB while others only have a cigarette socket.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: