"Natural" drain cleaner

Old 08-19-07, 07:19 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
"Natural" drain cleaner

Hi - We have some slow drains in the house, and I have used commercial products up to now... Is there any natural remedy for clogged drains that don't use these products? Baking soda? Vinegar? I'm really tired of putting more chemicals into the water system......
Thanks!

Old 08-19-07, 07:55 AM
Super Moderator
Received 47 Votes on 45 Posts
The best natural way to clear drains is with mechanical cleaning and making sure that you do not put waste that will contribute to clogging down the drain.

If they do plug up frequently you are putting too much bad stuff down them or there is a problem with how the drains are installed.

Enzyme cleaners are the most ecologically friendly but are not strong enough if you have a problem with the drains or what you put down them.

Old 08-19-07, 08:12 AM
D
Greg - The problem I am having is with my shower drain - it has slowed down, and I think it's due to hair...(unfortunately, as we age, the hair goes with it...) I just wanted another alternative to chemicals, and I don't think it's at the point where it needs a mechanical cleaning. I was trying to be proactive..........

Old 08-19-07, 08:34 AM
A kettle full of boiling hot water once a week should help. Otherwise baking soda and vinegar but it's hard to get the baking soda down far enough to do much good with a deep clog.

Old 08-19-07, 09:14 AM
D
Thanks to both of you - I'll try the hot water, and the baking soda and vinegar - I think I caught the clogs early, so they should clear out with one of these two methods.

Appreciate it!

Old 08-23-07, 08:10 PM
Y
drain cleaner

There is a new product available at home centers made for cleaning shower and tub drains. It is a plastic piece about 24" long and about 1/2" wide at its widest and tapers down thinner than that. The key is that there are reversed plastic "teeth" on both sides. You insert it down the drain after removing the screen and twist it slightly, then pull up with lots of hair and "gunk" that likes to hide in there. It is much easier to use than a snake, and costs about $3. It will work its way down through the trap to get most of the blockage.Why didn't I think of that?

Old 02-18-08, 10:21 PM
T
Originally Posted by yudamann View Post
There is a new product available at home centers made for cleaning shower and tub drains. It is a plastic piece about 24" long and about 1/2" wide at its widest and tapers down thinner than that. The key is that there are reversed plastic "teeth" on both sides. You insert it down the drain after removing the screen and twist it slightly, then pull up with lots of hair and "gunk" that likes to hide in there. It is much easier to use than a snake, and costs about $3. It will work its way down through the trap to get most of the blockage.Why didn't I think of that?
I purchased one of these gizmos and so far it has saved me from making three service calls for an expensive plumber. It is well worth the money, even if more than $3.00!!! Everyone should have one, especially if there is long hair in the house.

Old 03-04-08, 05:50 AM
K
Neat, I'll look for that.

The shower drain clogging is actually a combo of hair + excessive soap & shampoo fats. I've removed pipes so constricted by this gunk they have a 1/2" inside diameter. Switch to plain harsh soap, or do away with hair?

Nobody's going to believe me, but hot water + coffee grounds... imho... keep a kitchen drain scoured clean.

Old 01-28-09, 12:57 PM
N
Where did you find the "gizmo"?

Originally Posted by TxBecky View Post
I purchased one of these gizmos and so far it has saved me from making three service calls for an expensive plumber. It is well worth the money, even if more than $3.00!!! Everyone should have one, especially if there is long hair in the house.
Hi, where did you happen to purchase this gizmo and do you remember what it is called? I have a shower drain that is severely clogged. Thanks.

Old 01-28-09, 01:02 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
They have them at HD, prob Lowes and hardware stores as well..but I found they didn't work that well...threw mine out. Don't know the name, prob sold under different brands. Look near drain cleaners and chemicals.

Old 01-28-09, 01:05 PM
N
Thanks for the response. I will check it out.

Old 01-28-09, 01:09 PM
T
Check plumbing aisles for enzyme digester drain cleaner. More and more plumbers are switching to enzyme cleaner for drains. Enzymes naturally digest organic material in drains. Pour it in after showers are over for the day. Give enzymes time to digest the organic material.

To maintain drains, about once a month cup of baking soda (not baking powder) down the drain and pour in 1 cup of vinegar. When mixed, the two ingredients foam and froth like a volcano and work well for a 'green' drain maintenance program to prevent clogs from hair and organic gunk.

Old 01-29-09, 08:52 PM
T
Originally Posted by nabilalk View Post
Hi, where did you happen to purchase this gizmo and do you remember what it is called? I have a shower drain that is severely clogged. Thanks.
I got mine at Wal-Mart. I think it was called a "ZIP" drain cleaner, but I'm not sure.

Old 01-29-09, 09:46 PM
N
Thanks for the prompt response.

Originally Posted by TxBecky View Post
I got mine at Wal-Mart. I think it was called a "ZIP" drain cleaner, but I'm not sure.
Thank you for getting back to me. I found something similar at Dixieline. Hopefully, I can maintain it with baking soda + vinegar from now on, and avoid the exorbitant fees of a professional plumber.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: