What to use in Bissell Carpet Cleaner

Old 07-29-08, 09:45 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What to use in Bissell Carpet Cleaner

I was wondering if instead of buying the Bissell carpet cleaner solution could I use something else instead? Like a vinegar/baking soda solution?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-08, 02:41 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 93 Votes on 82 Posts
Vinegar and baking soda foams up something fierce - don't even attempt this. You might be able to use vinegar and water, but I'm not sure about whether the potentially low pH would be a problem. I can't remember the name of the stuff our carpet guy uses, but it's in one gallon jugs for about $10 at Sams Club, so there's certainly no need to buy expensive stuff.

That said, I can't recommend the machine you have. DIY carpet cleaning machines lack sufficient power to remove the soap/chemicals and water used in the cleaning process and can lead to dirtier carpets than before the cleaning was done in the first place - our leases specifically prohibit tenants from cleaning the carpets themselves, they have to hire it done. I recommend the same to you.

Old 07-29-08, 05:33 PM
N
I do have it professionally cleaned. I use the Bissell for more spot cleaning when the kids or dogs have an accident.

Old 07-31-08, 12:46 AM
with that being said...it sounds like you just need a spotter....an enzyme based spotter should work well on most of what you pets and kids may spill...apply a small amount of the spotter to the carpet..then run just hot water thru your bissell and rinse good

as mitch said diy machines really lack the power to do a good job