Green Deck Cleaning?

Old 08-23-08, 06:37 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Green Deck Cleaning?

Are there any recipes for a good deck cleaner that is also eco-friendly? I was in HD today looking at deck cleaners since my deck has never been cleaned or sealed that I know of (8 year old deck), and I would like to clean and seal it.

Also, if there is a commercially available eco-friendly deck cleaner someone knows of, that would be good also.

Thanks,
Neil

Old 08-29-08, 07:58 PM
T
After 8 years you are looking for an eco-friendly resolution to a deck cleaning. You are likely covered with mold/mildew and discoloration. There are probably other issues that can not be imagined.
You can pressure wash with plain water. No chemicals.
You can use a PDC (powdered deck cleaner) from your local hardware or home center. Some contain chlorine bleach and others do not (a lesser powerful hyrogenating bleach). You can DIY or hire a pro.
After 8 years you want an ecofriendly deck cleaning? There is not a likely ecofriendly resolution to 8 years of neglect. It's going to take some pressure washing and some chemicals to extract the neglect. It may take some sanding to bring the deck down to raw wood so that you can stain/seal. Please note that proper surface prep is crucial before attempting a new protective coating.

Old 08-30-08, 03:48 AM
H
Try Deck Brite and pressure wash after. Works great.

Old 09-02-08, 12:49 PM
R
Yes, I probably should have been more proactive about keeping up the deck, although in my defense, the deck already had 4 years of neglect before I bought the house. I don't think the previous owners were very proactive about anything, since I have been doing projects to the house since the day we moved in.

With all that being said, I was hoping to avoid a pressure washer and be as eco-friendly as possible. Sounds like that may not be the case this time around. I read somewhere on the web about Dr. Bronner's Sal Soap and I might give that a try. If it doesn't work, I will probably end up renting (or buying) a pressure washer. The local HD had them for rent, but they were the big gas ones, which would be difficult for me to get home (unless I also rent their truck). Not to mention if I rented one twice, I could almost buy a decent electric one with what I would spend on rental fees.

With all the various "green" cleaning recipes out there, I was just curious if one would work for decks. I imagined myself on hands and knees scrubbing with a baking soda paste

Thanks,
Neil

Old 09-02-08, 12:52 PM
R
Since we are on the topic of decks and it looks like "green" cleaning is out, how about a good "green" deck sealer once I get it clean?

Anything good out there that people have used?

Thanks,
Neil

Old 09-03-08, 02:48 AM
H
Can't get any more Green this this
http://www.builderdepot.com/browse.i...odstoreid=4887

Old 09-03-08, 05:09 AM
R
Yeah, I looked at their website and it looks promising. According to their dealer locator, the local Duron paint store carries it, so I am going to see if they have it in stock this weekend.

Old 09-08-08, 07:14 AM
R
Well, I used the Wolman's DeckBrite yesterday and it did wonders to the deck. I did do a bit of scrubbing and it isn't quite perfect, but a 1000% better than it was. It didn't look it at first until I looked at my neighbor's decks a couple of feet away and noticed how gray theirs looked compared to my clean deck. Now to find a good environmentally safe sealer. I found a soy based on (Natural Soy I think), but haven't had a chance to look much yet.

I'll try and post pics tonight.

-Neil

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: