Should we recycle motor oil bottles??c (vs throw them in trash)

Old 04-03-12, 06:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should we recycle motor oil bottles?? (vs throw them in trash)

I know it sounds like a silly question. All the motor oil bottles I've seen have the recycling emblem on the bottom, so I would assume it's okay to recycle them. But I have still recently heard arguments either way, that it's worse in a landfill OR to recycle for a variety of reasons, none of which I know are valid or not. I would assume the recycle emblem on the bottle means it should go to recycling, BUT I then want to know is this under the assumption the bottle has been cleaned and has no oil residue in it anymore?? We obviously should not rinse the remaining oil out into the water supply in order to have a clean bottle to recycle, but I want to know if we are expected to rinse the bottle with chemicals that would clean the bottle enough to put in recycling, (and of course capture the chemicals and oil to take to oil recycling with used oil), or is it okay enough to throw the properly drained oil bottle into recycling without additional cleaning??

Anyone have any knowledge on what to do properly??

Thanks,

Visser

Last edited by Visser; 04-03-12 at 09:40 PM.
Old 04-04-12, 04:52 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
The bottles are recyclable. They are also made of a petroleum base, so IMO whenever they are melted down anything residual will just form more petroleum base. I do leave mine turned upside down in another container until they drain almost completely. But that is to recover as much oil as I can. Hey it ain't a lot, but diesel at $4.20 a gallon, the oil saving is worth it to me.

Old 04-04-12, 05:26 PM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Since I normally take any oil to a garage or parts store for recycling (not that I do it much anymore) they normally have a bin/barrel for containers as well.

Old 04-04-12, 06:31 PM
I take all possible recyclable materials to a county center. I put them in the back of my SUV, get into a lane and they pull everything out a presort area for proper recycling without me getting out.

The only problem is that they will not accept "wet" paint in a can.

Dick

Old 04-04-12, 08:51 PM
Thanks for the replies all. Makes sense, and thought those of you who knew would reply this way, but I appreciate the confirmations!!

Larry I do the same thing leaving my oil bottles upside down to drain as much as possible, it does seem a bit wasteful if I don't. I'm surprised the amount that is wasted if I don't let them drain.

Thanks all!

Old 04-06-12, 05:04 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Dick, the way to avoid the wet paint can thingy, is to pour cat litter into the can and close it up. It will absorb most of the paint and dry it out quickly.

Old 04-06-12, 07:59 PM
Chandler -

My twp large cats would object tp not having their litter. I just open up the cans with little paint in them for a few days to get them accepted. the gallons get transferred in to empty quarts with a good seal.

The local municipal sites are great if you know the rules and schedules (make sure you have your drivers license). Drain what you can and let the rest be handled properly.

Dick

Old 04-07-12, 05:41 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 720 Likes on 631 Posts
pour cat litter into the can and close it up.
sand will do the same thing

Old 08-05-13, 09:55 PM
A
Most likely not, but check with your waste company

Unless you live in California, you probably cannot recycle your motor oil bottle.

The code on the bottom of the bottle is a resin identification code and it indicates the type of plastic used to make the bottle. The fact that it's there does not mean that the bottle is recyclable, but by finding out which codes are accepted by your recycler, you can determine whether it is accepted and how to sort it.

HOWEVER, that assumes that the bottle is empty and clean, and in the case of a used motor oil bottle, that is not the case. The petroleum-based motor oil seeps into the plastic of the bottle and cannot be removed by the washing process. This can then contaminate the rest of the batch of plastic and require it to be discarded in a landfill.

Therefore, you should either check with your local recycling program to ask for their specific policy or play it safe and just discard the bottle.

Can I recycle a motor oil bottle with a #2 on the bottom?
Motor Oil Recycling Program

Old 08-08-13, 02:51 PM
Thanks for the reply, AndrewM! I think we forget sometimes that the recycle imprint on the container is there to indicate that it is recycleable, and not necessarily that it is accepted!

Thanks for the input on the subject. Wish there was a better solution to just letting the containers go to the landfill, but, as I though, no better alternative!

Old 08-16-14, 03:30 PM
D
FYI, I just checked. My recycling company website specifically calls out motor oil bottles as NOT accepted regardless of recycling emblem / number, and they do take just about everything else.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: