Trash or Recycle?

Old 04-18-14, 10:57 AM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 5 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Question Trash or Recycle?

Forum Topic has been inactive for a very long time...

Subject of this post is specifically intended to draw some attention to the forum & also obtain answers to the questions below.

Should unwanted and/or used CD's and/or DVDs be recycled? If recycling is even available in your area. (???)

Are they recyclable anyway???...

Or should they simply be put into the regular trash? Which will only end up in a local land fill dump...

Old 04-18-14, 12:40 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 720 Upvotes on 631 Posts
I'm all for recycling when possible but have no idea if or where you'd take a CD or DVD.
I do know they work decent for scaring off birds when hung on a garden or porch

Old 04-18-14, 01:27 PM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Upvotes on 5 Posts
If you have a bunch...you can mail them via media mail (very cheap) to CD Recycling Center of America in NH. If you have a Best Buy nearby, they will accept up to three per visit it appears.

Jewel cases are polystyrene and can go in regular recycling bins if you have them for polystyrene products.

Old 04-18-14, 01:29 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
If the CD's and DVD's are commercially recorded items, you might consider selling them to a store that specializes in pre-owned CD's and DVD's. If that isn't an option, you might consider donating them to Goodwill or the Salvation Army. Just because you're tired of a particular movie or music CD doesn't mean someone else might not enjoy it. If it's a self-recorded CD or DVD, then I think your only option is trashing it. I've never heard of any recycling of CD's or DVD's for just the material content.

Edit: Gunguy beat me to the punch!

Old 04-18-14, 01:38 PM
A
Received 73 Upvotes on 66 Posts
Hanging them in the garden sounds like it might work, Mark. I'll have to give it a try. I know that using CD's for target practice scares off the birds, but that's a rather short term solution.

Old 04-18-14, 02:17 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 720 Upvotes on 631 Posts
They reflect the sun pretty good, that and moving with the breeze makes the birds leery.

Old 04-18-14, 02:23 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,705 Upvotes on 1,524 Posts
I was traveling back from Costa Rica and got pulled aside at the airport because their X-ray machine could not penetrate the log of Cocobolo wood I was bringing back. Pulled aside with me was a woman and 12 year old girl crying her eyes out that she was going to 3rd world prison. Her suitcase was full of old NiCad batteries which mom had checked in under her daughter's name to maximize what they brought back. Very eco conscious Costa Rica of course has recycling... or at least at the touristy places so the tourists think they're being eco using the recycling bins. Nope. It goes to the landfill. But this woman who has a house down there fills her suitcases for the return trip to the US with recyclables. Makes you wonder about how green it is when you transport a few thousand miles on a plane to recycle.

Oh, as for old CD and DVD's I toss them in the microwave for 3 seconds when I'm bored and want a light show.

Old 04-18-14, 08:04 PM
Group Moderator
Received 659 Upvotes on 559 Posts
I agree that reuse is always better then recycling. There are many thrift stores that would be happy to take them.

Old 04-20-14, 07:29 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Upvotes on 4 Posts

Some good ideas and suggestions here. Thanks.

Library took the movie DVD's and the music CD's. In turn I checked out and brought home a few movie DVD's donated by others before me. Amazing the amount and selections of old movies they have, if you're interested in such.

Any old computer software or program CD's most likely have no real valve for re-usage nor of interest to anyone. Type referring to is for already old and outdated computers, etc. Wondering if the material those are made of hazardous (?) or a material that can be and or should be recycled???

In the past they where and some still are being used as coffee or cup or glass coasters on the patio and some on the gun and archery range picnic tables, for ash tray and cup, beer bottle or drinking glass coasters, etc. They due work for such usage. Range targets too. However, clean up of the broken pieces is a chore...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: