Where do I dump my dirty water?

Old 07-20-14, 01:12 PM
F
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where do I dump my dirty water?

Apologies if this is the wrong forum- seems to be the best fit for my issue.

I posted on the forums a few days ago because my roommate left me with a clogged sink. After some very helpful advice, and hours of elbow grease, I came out no better than I started...my sink is still clogged, and all I have to prove I tried is a bucket full of black, oily, sludgy water and a sink full of the same stuff, just watered down a bit. Part of this is just general gross sink stuff, but a good portion I think is Draino...which again, was not my doing.

I live in an apartment, which has a teensie weensie outdoor area. But I can't imagine dumping draino water would be very good...the plants here are thirsty, but not that thirsty.
So...what do I do with it?? What am I supposed to do with ~8 gallons of toxic water that's just sitting there!?

Old 07-20-14, 01:47 PM
Received 645 Likes on 570 Posts
I hate chemical drain cleaners. However, the safe thing to do is flush it down the toilet.

You did not find the clog? Were you able to snake the drain after you took off the trap assembly? If I remember the original pic, you had trouble taking off the trap slip nuts. So I think I mentioned to remove it from the tail piece coming out of the wall. From there you should've been able to snake the drain. If it did not clear at that point then it's further down the pipe and you would most probably see other drains back up.

Old 07-20-14, 02:37 PM
F
I hate the stuff, too. Seems silly- on the off chance that they work, you've still dumped a ton of corrosive chemicals down the drain.

I couldn't get the metal clamps off the tail piece, but I did manage to get the trap nut off- got myself an actual pipe wrench. Cost a bit, but it doubles as a hefty self-defense weapon, so I'm happy.

I couldn't find the clog It wasn't in the P Trap, and I did keep pulling up bits of black sludge, but nothing substantial. The snake was in there at least 6 feet, but I didn't seem to really be hitting anything but more pipe. I jiggled it around and everything, and I was at it for a few hours before I gave up. I hoped I had done -something- to at least help it drain a little faster...turns out all I did was somehow clog it up worse. It used to drain very very slowly, until a certain point where it stopped. Now, it doesn't drain at all.

Old 07-20-14, 02:51 PM
Received 645 Likes on 570 Posts
Most likely you moved some of the clog down further. You need to continue. Are there any other pipes or clean outs available to open and snake? Usually in the basement you will find Wye with clean outs available.

Old 07-20-14, 03:14 PM
F
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
I live in an apartment,...
And that means that if you can't clear the drain at the trap you need to call management. Even removing the trap could make you liable for any problems in the sewer/drainage system.

Old 07-20-14, 07:03 PM
F
Nope, no basement for me, or other pipes around that connect to the sink. Thanks for the help- I think it's time to call in the pros D:

Old 07-20-14, 07:06 PM
F
Thank you- I didn't realize even that could get me into issues with the management.
My management is out to lunch, unless it is something that can make them money. They're closed on weekends, so I had hoped it was a fairly easy job I could do on my own, so it wasn't just a sink of disgusting water sitting there all weekend. Turns out it wasn't. I'll quietly hide my pipe wrench now...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: