Reusing bar soap ends

Old 02-18-15, 01:35 PM
E
Received 7 Upvotes on 7 Posts
Reusing bar soap ends

Perhaps someone can give me an idea what to do with face soap ends. I have a bag of used face soap pieces and I want to make them into bars of soap. I have tried a suggestion where I cut the ends into small pieces, let them sit for a day in water, bring them to a boil over the stove, then put them into molds until they harden. I let them sit for about 6 days and nothing happened. Is there some sort of hardener that I should have used? Does anyone have a good suggestion so I don't have to toss them into the trash? Thanks.

Rich

Old 02-18-15, 01:45 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,262 Upvotes on 1,203 Posts
Geez, I can't remember the last time I used bar soap but I always just slapped the old sliver onto the new bar when I switched.

Old 02-18-15, 01:49 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 832 Upvotes on 729 Posts
I do like stickshift .... unless my wife trashes the remnant first. I've also heard they work as a deterrent for deer and other wildlife if spread along the perimeter of your garden.

Old 02-18-15, 03:16 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
I found that you need to thoroughly mix the soap after it has softened and then press it into some kind of mold. It will take several days, maybe even weeks depending on the humidity, for it to really harden. I had (may still have) a mold that I got from one of the junk catalogs like Miles Screwball or similar. I know I still have a zit-lock bag full of chips.

Or...How to Press Used Soap Bars Together | eHow

Also might want to do an Internet search using the term soap chip saver, lots of hits.

Old 02-19-15, 08:41 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sometimes there are ads in that same kind of catalog for bath mitts with a compartment to just put the soap ends into, then you wet the mitt and use it (and its soapiness) instead of a new bar of soap. I think I've seen ads for mitts made of sponge, and also some of thick mesh, that work the same.

Old 02-19-15, 09:13 AM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
My wife has a recipe for making cheap hypo-allergenic laundry detergent where one of the ingredients is grated bar soap (and borax and I-don't-know-what). You might consider that an easier path to take.

Old 02-19-15, 10:00 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
Different brands may not meld together easily but I do as others and just press them together as I use the soap. Usually works.

Old 02-20-15, 09:21 AM
M
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
An other vote for "pressing the old bar remnant onto the new".
I've also seen the mitts/sponges/mesh that marynurse mentioned.
A buddy said he puts the pieces into an old sock-a DIY mitt. His wife thought that it w3as ugly, and gave him a mesh "bag" to use.

Old 02-22-15, 07:26 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts

My 2 Cents (¢¢)

When all else fails and/or a unknown solution is needed.......improvise....

The soap mitt is a good idea and it works. If you don't have one, make one. It's made from a face cloth. Fold it over lengthwise and sew closed the long end and one short end. You'll then have a tube like a sock. Soap ends and small pieces go inside and end gets folded over. Works great when done right.

If you're handy still, you can fold the open end over a thin rope, shoe lace or thin cord etc. Then sew that into the rolled (opened) end of the mitt. (Tube) A means to close the end preventing soap from falling out during usage. Also a means to hang the mitt when not in use.

An alternate method instead of sewing in a rope etc. is to use clothing Velcro. Made for that specific purpose. Adheres to cloth very well when applied correctly according to directions. Once the two other ends are sewn closed, the open end can be folded over and closed using the Velcro adhered strips to close that end....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: