Make your own washing machine?

Old 12-03-22, 01:35 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Make your own washing machine?

I plan on making my own washer based on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XenzDFI8Cmk. One of the things I would like to change is eliminating the center rod going through both barrels. I have my two barrels. I've attached a drawing to plan it all out and could use a check that this will work. I have a few questions:

1) Will this design work?
2) Are pillow block bearings necessary? - I'm hoping this would make turning the inner barrel easier.
3) Would like to be able fill with water above center, what kind of washer or bearing could I use for outer barrel axle?
4) I haven't cut the barrels yet, so 2" measurement between barrels is approximate.

I guess never mind since attachment won't upload. Aargh!

Note: I'm a 62 year old woman w/o experience trying to do this, so bear with me please.

Last edited by monkeymind; 12-03-22 at 01:40 PM. Reason: attachment not working
Old 12-03-22, 01:46 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,333 Upvotes on 2,992 Posts
Try following this... How to insert pictures.

Old 12-03-22, 02:51 PM
Received 1,059 Upvotes on 961 Posts
Well, it's an interesting concept, making a washing machine for off-the-grid living yet using the internet to ask if it will work,

I assume the shaft design is just for simplistic construction, without that they your going to have to support each side so they stay parallel so I'll say that yes it's possible.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: