Sunroom leaks

Old 01-28-03, 06:56 PM
emarsh69
Visiting Guest
Sunroom leaks

I had a contractor add a sunroom to the back of my house in October 2002. Over the last few months, I've discovered water leaks. The one I am concerned with is along the roof line where the sunroom is connected to the house wall. The wall is stucco painted with an elastic paint. The leaks ran down the front of the wall into the room. We discussed him installing Z-flashing to ensure the leaks would not return. When he showed up, he installed a piece of L-flashing and used a lot of polyurethane sealant to fix it. He's now saying that this is a good fix because my wall has the elastic type paint and the water is not seeping throught the stucco. Also, when it rains, this wall usually takes a beating. Is this true or not? What is the best fix?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-03, 10:04 PM
How old or how new is the stucco wall?? If it is the old 3 coat stucco, so that it is about an inch thick, then a Z-bar flashing inserted in a saw kerf in the wall, then caulked with a good polyurethane SHOULD seal it. (I've never had one leak yet.)

However, if it is new stucco, that is a whole different ball game. He'll do more damage to the stucco trying to cut in the Z-bar than any polyurethane sealant will ever be able to fix.

Old 01-29-03, 02:25 PM
emarsh69
Visiting Guest
Lefty:

The house was built in 1995. I don't really recall how they applied it, but I think it was done in one application over the chicken wire. It was painted afterwards. I think it is about 1/2 to 1 inch thick. Hope this helps clarify. Thanks.

Old 01-29-03, 04:27 PM
Virtually all of the houses built in '95 would have had the stucco applied over 1" (probably blue) styrofoam insulation, then the mesh, then the stucco applied. If that was how yours was done, then the contractor is right in NOT cutting a saw kerf in the stucco. The L flashing he installed and using the polyurethane to seal it to the stucco is the proper way to do it. But you might have to be a little patient with the contractor. It might take him 3 or 4 tried of applying the polyurethane before he can finally get all of the little spots that are leaking totally sealed. That is not unusual.

Be aware that there is a huge difference between the flashing leaking, and the water weeping through the stucco. If you have a leak, the water will actually be dripping off of the hanger, or you will see a stream running down the wall. The contractor should be able to get that stopped. However, if the water is weeping through the stucco, it will show up inside the room as just an area of the stucco that is darker than the rest of the wall. (Darker becuase it is moist.) There is nothing the contractor can do to stop that. Only cure would be to repaint the wall above the sunroom.

If this wall faces south or west, it is taking a beating from both the sun and from the storms that come in from that direction blowing the rain against it.