Sunroom leaks

Old 04-13-03, 09:18 AM
emarsh69
Visiting Guest
Question Sunroom leaks

I had a sunroom installed last fall. Since then I have been watching and repairing leaks. So far the builder has responded to all the leaks I've told him about. I have a few leaks that I don't think he'll fix because they are coming from the stucco wall. Some of the leaks are coming from around the window and patio door. It seeps between the stucco and the door/window frame. A couple of leaks come from the bottom of the stucco wall (as it's supposed to). One leak is from a thin but long crack in the stucco between the window and patio door. How do I fix these? I was told earlier in this forum that I should not install Z- flashing in the type of stucco I have. How can I fix this?

My other half is bugging me about fixing the leaks so she can decorate the room. Please help!!!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-03, 07:19 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The leaks around the door and the window are probably fixable. could be as simple as a clogged weep hole or a spot that didn't get caulked properly.

As far as the "leaks" in the stucco, you probably can't do much about them -- that is simply stucco getting wet and weeping like it is supposed to. A couple of my customers have had some success reducing this type of "leak" by painting the wall above their room. I won't cut into the stucco and install a Z-bar flashing. If the customer wants to do it, or hire a stucco contractor to do it, that is up to him or her.

Old 04-20-03, 01:50 PM
emarsh69
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb

Thanks for the information. I have a couple of ideas I'd like your opinion on.

1. The leaks around the window are coming from right where the stucco meets the window frame. Can I put caulk on these areas?
2. If I can caulk, can you recommend a good brand?
3. The last time the wall was painted, they used an elastic type paint. For the craks in the stucco that leak, can I safely caulk those too? Would it direct the water to the bottom of the wall?
4. I thought about fabricating some type of channel that would direct the water from the bottom of the wall to outside of the sunroom. Ever heard of this being done?

Thanks again!

Old 04-21-03, 02:05 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
1. "The leaks around the window are coming from right where the stucco meets the window frame."

If I'm following you correctly, that is where the water is showing up (exiting the wall), but where is the water getting INTO the wall? THAT is where you need to do the caulking or sealing. Caulking around the window frame will simplly trap the water in the wall and it will find another place to exit.

4. "I thought about fabricating some type of channel that would direct the water from the bottom of the wall to outside of the sunroom."

The water seems to be coming out of the weep screed at the base of the stucco -- that is exactly why the weep screed is in place. Obviously the water is ENTERING the wall above the sunroom. I think your best bet would be to call a stucco contractor. Sounds like you need to have a roof-to-wall flashing installed ABOVE the roof of the room, so that this water would be directed on the roof of the sunroom, rather than continue down the inside of the wall inside the room and come out the weep screed.