solarium repair

Old 06-01-03, 12:07 PM
solarium repair

I have a solarium attached to back of my house. It rests on 2 x4 at bottom which sits on concrete pad. The 2 x4's are rotting and need replacement. Any ideas how best to do this without dismantling the solarium? It is about 5 feet back and 15 feet wide and 10 feet high. Aluminum (or steel) channels support the plastic glass panes. I need to support the solarium while replacing the 2 x 4's and would appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-03, 07:19 PM
How are the 2X4's anchored to the concrete? What sort of a framing member rests on top of the 2X4? A picture or two would cetainly be helpful. Can you post one or two on a website like Yahoo or Angelfire and give us the URL? Or just e-mail the pics directly.

Sounds like a poor design to begin with, at least to me. ANY wood placed directly on the concrete is going to rot. If you replace the 2X4 with another 2X4, you'll be going through all of this again. I would suggest using an aluminum square stock that is 1-1/2" by whatever the wall thickness is in place of that 2X4. Do this once and never again.

Do get some pictures to me. Even if you can't post or e-mail them, you can e-mail directly and I will give you an address to send some to.