screened porch to sunroom

Old 08-02-03, 12:04 PM
mikecummins
Visiting Guest
screened porch to sunroom

We have a screened porch, facing east, on the back of the house. I want to replace the screens with a glass wall and use the space for a home office. There is an existing roof and insulation between the joists. Two eight foot sliders lead from the house to the porch. The porch has a cement floor. There is no heat or air to the porch, although the ducting is right there.

The glass wall will be 24' long, and the glass sections will be 50" with about a 32" kneewall. The glass sections will open and have screens. There will be a six foot slider to the back yard. (Lefty, if you see this, it's similar to page 20 of the C-Thru catalogue.)

Here's my problem. The Four Seasons contractor insists I need "wonder glass" from Four Seasons. C-Thru says that, because of the eastward face, only double pane is needed. C-Thru has a "smart glass" option that is about the same thing as "wonder glass". They say I don't need it.

I want to make sure I have a room I can use all day, every day.

There's a significant cost difference due to the differing glass requirements.

With your experience, which contractor is correct?

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-03, 08:55 PM
"Wonder Glass" and "Smart Glass" -- If I'm not mistaken, both are a low-E glass. If that is correct, I would certainly put the money into it.

This conversion (regardless of which glass you use) is a sizable investment. Paying the extra to upgrade the glass will pretty much assure you that you will be able to use the room "all day, everyday". If you opt not to upgrade the glass, you may find that the room is unusable on both very hot days and on very cold days.

And a low-E glass WILL reduce the amount of energy needed to heat and cool the room. That not only will result in lower utility costs to you, but will make life easier on your HVAC unit.

Old 08-06-03, 05:15 PM
mikecummins
Visiting Guest
Thanks Lefty, we're going with the low-E glass.

mc