Leaking Seams

Old 08-09-03, 03:08 AM
Ellen R.
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb Leaking Seams

Hey! I live in a very nice moble home with an attached 20 x 14 deck, in which the previous owners had built by a contractor. The owners also installed an enclosed patio/sun room on the deck. A carport also extends from this sunroom. ( The sunroom roof and carport are one in the same.) My problem is the roof is leaking through the seams in the sunroom. I can see where it appears they may have painted the ceiling with some sort of white waterproofing sealant, which is now wearing off at the seams. I bought some silicone caulking to run along the seams, but I believe this will just cause more problems in the future, as the water will remain trapped in the aluminum panels. I believe it may come down to climbing up on the roof to find where the water is getting through. With recent back surgery and no extension ladder, I cannot do this nor afford to hire someone else to. Any suggestions for a wintertime fix until I can do so next season? What kind of waterproofing paint could this be, that they have applied? Cement? Basement?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-03, 08:49 PM
The roof of the patio/sun room and the carport -- this is a V-Pan??? ANd it leaks in the patio/sun room, but not in the carport??

I don't think you have a leak problem; you have a CONDENSATION problem! All the painting and sealing in the world won't cure that, but putting a 1/2" thick layer of foam insulation over the v-pan in the area of the patio/sun room will.

Look in the yellow pages under either Mobile Home Contractors, or Patio Cover Contractors. Ask for estimates from several.

Old 08-12-03, 08:27 AM
Ellen R.
Visiting Guest
Thumbs down Condensation - No

No this is not condensation. The leak causes puddles, on the deck floor, and streaks down the enclosed patio walls in streams. There is also puddling on the cement under the carport and up the deck stairs outside of the patio/sun room. I have had someone else suggest that this could be condensation however, I can tell a difference. Especially when it is raining, which it has done a lot of here this summer. Thank you for your reply, but I would still like to know what the previous owners could have "painted" on the ceiling, with it being made of vinyl.

Old 08-12-03, 05:29 PM
OK, let's leave the condensation issue alone and assume that it is a leak.

Is the roof an aluminum v-pan? If so, the only way those SEAMS will leak is if there is a screw tying two of the pans together that needs to be caulked, or if the pans have come unhooked. (The design of the lock system is such that water CANNOT penetrate it).

The leak would show up if the FLASHING between the mobile and this cover is allowing water to get inside that lock.

Start with a hose test -- wet the roof of the mobile (NOT the awning), let the water flow off of the roof onto the awning, and see if the leak shows up. This will test the flashing.

Old 08-16-03, 11:22 AM
Ellen R.
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb Thank you!

I am printing your reply out for my husband. We were told by a contractor that it was probably what you have suggested, I just don't think my husband likes heights! Will check this out and let you know before the leaves start turning colors here. I am scheduled for neck/spinal surgery on August the 25th and will be laid up for about 6 weeks (if they can keep me down!) - The only difficulty with this test is there is a "permanent" shingled roof on our mobile home. This overlays by two (2) rows of singles onto the sun/patio room roof. -- We'll see how it goes. Maybe I'll be able to give someone else insight on a diy know-how. Thanks again.

Old 08-17-03, 04:01 PM
Ellen,

You're NOT going to walk on this V-pan or flat-pan cover -- it won't support you!! (Too much weight in a concentrated area.) Walking on it will cause the pans to bend and the seams will come unhooked, and you could be picking yourself up off the deck or slab below.

Doing a hose test only requires that you put a sprinkler on the roof of the mobile and let it run for a half hour or so. The water running off of the roof onto the cover will test the flashing. If that doesn't produce a leak, move the sprinlier onto the cover itself and let it run for a bit. That will test the locks of the pans.

If neither you nor your husband is willing or able to get on the roof, have a neighbor (or a neighbor's kid), or a son, nephew, grandson, etc. do it.

That much you can do (or have done) and you won't be paying the contractor or one of his guys to do it. And this will tell you whether you are dealing with a leak in the flashing, a leak in the hooks of the pans, or (if the hose test doesn't produce a leak), condensation.

Any of those 3 are a possibility -- just need to determine exactly which one you are dealing with so you can have the right repair done the first time.