Sunroom Glass Replacement

Old 11-10-03, 05:03 PM
orgullodemexico
Visiting Guest
Sunroom Glass Replacement

I'd like to find out other people's experience in having glass replaced in a Sunroom.

The situation is a solarium on the third level in a Chicago Condo. Age of the sunroom is 10 years.

One of the glass panels, 28" x 44" has accumulated 1 1/2" of water standing in it. With winter coming, I can only vision the water freezing and the glass shattering.

There is about 7 glass panels that are fogged and all probably need replacement but finances right now are limited.

Two quotes to replace one panel are in the $500 range. Does this sound accurate?

Not sure what brand of sunroom this is - as no paperwork was exchanged at closing, but I'm chasing down the developer who rehabbed the condo 10 years ago.

What kind of warranties typically exist on these? Would it be worthwhile to file a claim with my homeowners insurance? The condo association already told me they (association) would not be liable.

Any tips/hints would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-03, 11:36 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
$500 a pane is WAY out of line. Not a claim for your homeowners insurance. Don't waste your time trying to track down the developer.

These are simply dual pane windows, right??

Here's what you do. Go to any local glass shop (take one of the panes with you if you can -- in the frame!) They can measure the IG units and order you new ones. You just have to make sure that they are all the same size, or be able to tell them what the size difference is.

28" X 44' -- you should be looking at about $100 to $125 per window fro the glass. Installing it yourself is no big thing -- but getting it home from the glass shop without a frame around it WILL be -- probably better to pay the guys $15 or $20 a pane and let them install them -- assuming that all of the affected frames are removable.