hvac

Old 12-12-03, 06:26 AM
actuary2
Visiting Guest
hvac

Hi! I've received approval to build a 14 x 24 sunroom. Three sides and the roof will be argon filled, glazed thermal glass (best I could find.) It is entered from a door from the rest of my home but will not be (and cannot be) connected to the hvac of my home. Limited electricity at 110v is available. What do you suggest for heating and cooling? (Please note that I cannot install a generator)
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-03, 04:42 PM
actuary2,

First, welcome to DoItYourself.com.

I understand perfectly the restriction of conneting this room to your HVAC system. Changes the use of the room and probably affects your property taxes. Plus, if it is a "conditioned" room (heated and cooled), it comes under an entirely different set of building codes!

Where are you at?? A lot of my customers heat their rooms with wood and cool them with evaporative cooling. Of course, wood heat in Florida would get awfully expensive, and evaporative cooling just won't work in Seattle!!

Old 12-13-03, 07:07 PM
actuary2
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the welcome. I'm in New York City. The sunroom is on the roof of a condominium, so options are probably limited to passive methods and those using electricity. (I believe I probably only have around 30 to 40 amps at most available.)

Old 12-15-03, 10:01 PM
Passive works. Keep the windows closed, lots of glass, and lots of masonary that will get warm and release heat as it cools. Talk to an electrician and find out just how much amperage you safely have. Get his opinion about possible heating systems. Check with your local building dept. Pretty sure that they will tell you that this room is "non-conditioned space" -- that means whatever you heat it with has to be portable -- something that you can plug into an outlet. If that's what they tell you, you can't put a permanently mounted heating or cooling system in the room.