Going to build a greenhouse

Old 02-06-04, 08:54 AM
Going to build a greenhouse

Hi Everyone,

I am building a workshop this Spring and on one side I am going to build a lean to greenhouse. The greenhouse will be made from treated lumber with polycarbonate panels (smoke panels on the roof) for the roof and walls. This will be a hobby greenhouse (8X16) not a commercial venture.

Has anyone done this before? My biggest concern is with the humidity generated by the plants, will that cause problems with the wall of the workshop? I intend to install a heater for Winter and exhaust fans for Summer.

Any and all comments, please don't provide links to web pages I have done a lot of that already, from people who have experienced this are welcomed.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-04, 05:13 PM
Depends on what you side the wall WITH.

If you use a wood siding, like plywood, then the humidity will be an issue, and it'll probably be an on-going maintenance thing.

A better idea would be to frame the wall, then add a 6 mil plastic vapor barrier or Tyvek, then s styrofoam insulation, and finally side it with vinyl siding.

Another option, once you have the vapor barrier or Tyvek in place, would be to side it with Hardi Plank.

Old 02-07-04, 05:54 AM
I was going to use T-11 or 111 whatever its called but the cost of that has skyrocketed due to Iraq. So vinyl is cheaper and that's what I planned for the rest of the siding. Hardi planks are a great idea too but costly. This isn't going to be the Taj Mahal but it isn't going to be redneck junction either.

Do you thing the Tyvek and Styrofoam would be needed? The workshop will have a motel style heater/air unit as it will be used for our stained glass shop also. We are insulating between the studs inside.

Old 02-08-04, 11:30 AM
I would certainly put a moisture barrier on the greenhouse side of the wall.