Sunroom kits

Old 04-23-04, 10:50 AM
Sunroom kits

I really want a sunroom on the deck off the master bedroom. The bids are coming back way too high! Thus, now looking at the "kit" option. In an internet search I got many different options. Has anyone done this before? Any input? I want some glass (we have awesome views), one wall and the roof can be the polycarb., (but not solid, as I don't want the sunroom to darken the master bedroom). Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks, Mary

Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-04, 09:04 PM
BE CAREFUL!!!

I understand your desire to have lots of glass in the walls -- most sunrooms have lots of that.

But to then put on a poly-carb roof?? Several issues need to be addressed before you do that.

Snow load is one. WHATEVER you put up will have to meet the snow load requirements for where you live.

Solar heat gain is the other. Forget about the room darkening -- a totally poly carb roof with glass walls will cook your house, and you'll pay a FORTUNE trying to keep it cool.

I have a 10 X 12 sunroom off of my living room. The south and west walls of that sunroom are mostly glass, plus the lexan in the curve of the roof (last 2'). The rest of the roof is solid. It captures enough light that room darkening isn't an issue. But what's nice about the sunroom is that I can use it to heat almost 1/2 my house on a reasonably clear day in the WINTER. (There's that much heat gain!!) With the solid roof, I have seen days when it's 40 to 45 degrees outside and it's a balmy 75 to 80 degrees inside my sunroom. If I had a more poly carb in the roof, it would be pushing closer to 100 inside it on those days.

Old 04-27-04, 10:38 AM
lrn
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up I used a sunroom kit

Mary,

We put a sunroom kit up. We're not quite done - really just have interior finishing to do i.e. spackling, painting, etc. The room itself is 22 X 12 and it ran us about 20K for materials and labor. The room itself is beautiful and aI can't say enough about the company we bought the kit from. They were extremely helpful every step of the way. One wall is just about all glass, there are 2 skylights and the other walls have a door or large window. It does get hotter in there than I anticipated when the sun shines right on the glass, but I have the slanted glass option. The company makes a kit with a straight glass wall which I imagine is not as hot. Still, I like the effect of the slanted glass wall. The company is at http://www.sunroomliving.com/ if you want to explore their website.

Luise

Old 04-27-04, 04:13 PM
Irn,

You say a kit, and then you mention "labor and material". I'm assuming that you subbed out a portion of the work, like possibly the slab, probably the electrical, and possibly the finish of the interior walls, but did the actual construction of the room yourself.

A 264 sq. ft. for $20K works out to about $76 / sq. ft. That's not a bad price. A room that size that I would install would cost the customer about $33K -- depending on how much glass they wanted and what other options were involved.

Mary24, you'll notice that Irn has a solid roof with a couple of skylites in it. That would be a much better way to go, rather than a poly carb roof, for teh reasons I stated in my original post.

Old 04-27-04, 05:07 PM
lrn
Visiting Guest
Sunroom kit

Lefty,

Actually about 2/3 of the work was done by my son-in-law. He is a plumber by trade, but knows enough about electricity, carpentry, roofing, siding, etc to do that work. A lot I did under his supervision with a friend. The company sent a 50 page instruction book with the room kit. The kit included everything but the materials for the deck platform that the room is built on, siding, shingles, sheetrock (& other finishing materials). I gave my son-in-law about $2500 for all his help. If I add everything up, it may be a little more than 20K total but not much more.

Old 04-28-04, 09:27 PM
So the son-in-law is a plumber -- he understands LEAKS!! I hope he got it sealed so you don't have any!! (LOL!!)

Old 05-19-04, 06:33 AM
tmflem
Visiting Guest
lrn, thanks for your post. I requested info from the company you got your kit from after reading your post as a lurker last week. On paper, it looks very nice! If your room ended up like the photos in the brochure, I'm sure it looks great. If you don't mind, a couple of questions for you:

1. What did you use as the "foundation" for your room? Was it an existing structure or not?

2. Is your room open to the rest of your house? Or do you have doors that you open up to the new room to be able to "shut off" the room if it gets too hot or cold?

Thanks,
Tim

Old 05-19-04, 07:00 PM
tmflem,

Lurkin' around here is no problem. (No way of knowing how many we have!) Glad you finally decided to join us. Welcome!

Old 05-20-04, 07:05 AM
tmflem
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the welcome, Lefty. There's lots of good information in this forum. What did we do for information before the Internet? I'm considering an addition on the back of my house and trying to figure out if I should go with traditional construction, sunroom kit, screened porch, etc., etc. The possibilities are endless. The info from a forum like this is a great help. Thanks for your time and expertise.