sunroom glass fogging

Old 06-05-04, 07:56 AM
A
appu77
Visiting Guest
sunroom glass fogging

I have a suncraft sunroom constructed in about 1977-1985. It has curved glass that has fogged up. Suncraft no longer exists. A fellow who is knowledgeable about sunrooms in the area says that there are no manufacturers that make the same size curved glass suitable for a replacement. Does anyone know about someone who could perhaps reseal the glass? What about some sort of custom glass manufacturer? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-04, 03:43 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is it curved glass, or is it Lexan that was bent to the shape of the purlins when it was installed?

If it's glass, you probably can't replace it with glass. Each sunroom mfgr. uses a different radius in the curved portion of their purlins, and the glass is manufactured to that particular radius. (Exactly what "A fellow who is knowledgeable about sunrooms in the area" said.) Lexan is simply bent over the curve once all of the purlins are in shape, then the retainers are installed, and then the top cap. You might run this by "the knowledgeable fellow" and see what his thoughts on it are.

Old 06-06-04, 07:49 AM
A
appu77
Visiting Guest
curved glass fogged

Lefty,

Thank you so much for your response. It was a bit too technical for my rather limited knowledge in this area but the window has in the corner the following notation:

Suncraft
Triplex
Tempered
ANSI Z97.1.1975
4 mm FLOAT

I'm not sure what those identiifiers mean other than the probable year of manufacture was 1975. The "knowledgeable fellow" I alluded to, said that he was going to search on the internet to see if anyone might have the old suncraft molds. He also talked about the resealing option. He also talked about finding someone to manufacture "plexiglass" windows to the correct specifications, to use as replacements, although he said the view would then have some "distortion". Is there a way I can enclose your response as an attachment to email him? In any case, I thank you so much. I will try to look up Lexan (Plexiglass??) and the term purlins (molds?) to get up to speed on this.

Originally Posted by lefty
Is it curved glass, or is it Lexan that was bent to the shape of the purlins when it was installed?

If it's glass, you probably can't replace it with glass. Each sunroom mfgr. uses a different radius in the curved portion of their purlins, and the glass is manufactured to that particular radius. (Exactly what "A fellow who is knowledgeable about sunrooms in the area" said.) Lexan is simply bent over the curve once all of the purlins are in shape, then the retainers are installed, and then the top cap. You might run this by "the knowledgeable fellow" and see what his thoughts on it are.

Old 06-06-04, 04:59 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Your curved glass panels are indeed glass.

Reread my initial post and you will notice that NOT ONE TIME did I mention "Plexiglass". (I resisted the temptation every time it arose.) DO NOT use "plexiglass" -- use Lexan. A lot of people will use the 2 terms interchangably when dealing with sunrooms, but they are not. They look the same -- they even feel the same. But airplane canopies are made out of Lexan, NOT "Plexiglass" -- and so are sunroom curved windows, for all the same reasons!