leaking sunroom

Old 06-11-04, 07:20 PM
mrc0103
Visiting Guest
Question leaking sunroom

We purchased our house approximately 2.5 yrs ago (it was built in 1985) and we have a sunroom which has given us nothing but headaches. We recently discovered we had termites in the wooden floor. After treating the termites and pulling up the floor and subfloor, we realized we had a serious leak somewhere because of all the moisture we found. We prepared the floor and started to put tile down when it started to rain...I mean RAIN for several days. We found the problem area during the rain and had to wait until it stopped to attempt fixing it. My husband started looking and discovered that it has been leaking for so long that the wood around the frame is rotten. The walls inside don't appear to have any serious damage...that we can see but we don't even know where to begin dealing with this. We thought about having someone come out to look and get estimates to repair the area but I thinn they would have to remove the sunroom frame from the house to get to the wood underneath. Does anyone know how sunrooms work? I'm thinking they would have to remove most of the windows before taking the frame away from the house. I'm also thinking this is going to cost me an arm and a leg. (the room is 12x12). Would it be difficult/expensive to have an insulated roof built to replace the "ceiling" of glass? How would I go about finding a good contractor to do this kind of work? I'm so confused and have no idea where to start. I've gotten really good at installing floor and fixing plumbing but this is completely out of my league...any suggestions/ideas/input would help....

Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-04, 09:18 PM
mrc0103,

Welcome to DoItYourself.com and the sunroom, shed, and greenhouse forum.

Yes, at least a portion of the sunroom wall would have to be removed to get to the water damaged siding that it is attached to. How much depends on how the sunroom was built.

Converting the 'glass ceiling' to an insulated roof is doable -- again it depends on how the room was constructed.

In either case, the best way to find out what would be involved, and how much it will cost is going to be to call several contractors for estimates. Start in the Yellow Pages and look under 'Patio Covers' to start with.

There might be a possibility that the seller knew about these problems with the sunroom and failed to disclose them to you. If the room has given you "nothing but headaches", there's a good chance it was the same for them. You didn't mention where you are, but it's probably not CA -- you would already be in court!!