new base for old shed

Old 06-17-04, 09:04 PM
calvard
Visiting Guest
new base for old shed

I have an old cedar shed, good condition except for the rotten support frame under the rotting floorboards. Frame seems to have been laid on a bed of sand.

What is the best way to put a new base/floor under the shed?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-04, 05:54 AM
Super Moderator
Smile More info please.

calvard,

How about a detailed description of how this shed is built, how tight is the construction, the size of it and how much free space there is around it.

Old 06-18-04, 07:13 PM
calvard
Visiting Guest
4x2 framing under floorboards. Then a 4x2 plate nailed thru the floorboards onto the base frame. 4x2 studs with 1/2" thick cedar siding all around. The structure is sound apart from the base frame. I was thinking of jacking up a few inches corner by corner and supporting on wood blocks. Try and remove all base frame and nails, floorboards. Then put a base in concrete/concrete tiles/wood frame.

Old 06-18-04, 08:38 PM
Super Moderator
calvard,

You don't say what dimensions it is but blocking up the corners won't work.

What you need to do is to have two beams go through the structure and past about three feet on either side.
You would then lift the building and support the beams beyond the perimeter of the concrete pad.
You then would be working unobstructed within the footprint of the building.
Again you don't say how big it is.
If it's just a 10 x 12 then you could have a bunch of guys just pick it up and carry it off and then lift it back onto the pad.

I've moved many but there is no one way of doing this.

If you can find a place to host some pics we could likely tell you exactly what to do. (After we find a way of you supplying the refreshments of course. )