Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Greenhouses, Sheds and Sun Rooms
Reload this Page >

Fiberglass Mesh screen material... How loose after install?

Fiberglass Mesh screen material... How loose after install?

Old 06-29-04, 08:20 AM
thewired1
Visiting Guest
Question Fiberglass Mesh screen material... How loose after install?

I had a screened pation enclosure built this past weekend. I was at work when they finished so I couldn'y observe the install and ask questions. Heres the details...

Aluminum frame (6' x 6') with Phifer 18/14 fiberglass screen mesh. The center of the sections is rather loose and has about 4" of movement (2" in and 2" out). It moves gently with the wind. It does not have any sags, folds, or buldges.

I can imagine it is diificult to get a 6' x 6' section "REALLY" tight but this feels just too loose. Can anyone comment on how tight it should be?

Thanks in advance.

Edward

Old 06-29-04, 09:18 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
A 6' X 6' frame is going to be difficult to get the mesh "really tight" in -- doing that would cause the frame to bow in on the sides. But it should be tighter than what you are describing. Talk to the contractor and see if they can be tightened up a little.

Old 06-30-04, 04:25 AM
thewired1
Visiting Guest
Thanks... I am having them come out to look at it. I will post a followup.

Ed

Old 07-07-04, 05:23 AM
thewired1
Visiting Guest
I just got off the phone with the contractor. They told me they would tighten it up but they couldn't be held responsible if it tears down the middle during the warranty. They said the sun will cause the fiberglass mesh to tighten up over time and if it's installed "too tight", it would split. I live in Orlando Fla and the panels do face west...

What do you guys think? Does the mesh really tighten up? How tight should I ask for it on the 6' x 6' panels?

Thanks....
Ed

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: