Making an old shed a workroom?

Old 07-14-04, 12:31 PM
Making an old shed a workroom?

We bought a new house last year, and I'm now looking into doing something useful with the old shed in the backyard. It's got a dirt floor, it's made of old 1x10 barn wood that's actually in pretty good condition (very little rot, no termites, etc.) and a sheet metal roof that doesn't leak.

There are some gaps in the wood sides, and the small window is broken out...so, here's my question.

I want to turn this into a usable workroom that I can store power tools and projects in without them rusting, mildewing, etc. How much work will it be to make the shed a functional building?

Should I insulate, put up some sort of moisture barrier and drywall? Should I replace any of the existing 2x4 studs? Should I do anything to the roof? Should I try to lay a concrete floor?

Anyone with any experience with this sort of thing could save me LOTS of work and give some great tips that I would much appreciate...

TIA,

b

Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-04, 07:09 AM
anyone have any ideas/tips on this??

Thanks!!

Old 09-22-04, 02:16 PM
If the roof does'nt leak thats what matters most. How wet is it where you are? Laying some polyethelyne (black plastic) on the ground might keep some ground moisture down. Then lay gravel on top to keep the surface dry. Make a "window" with a wood frame and plastic, or plexiglass, or real glass, to keep the rain and wind from blowing through. If it gets real humid inside some corrosion will form so maybe spraying tools with WD40 before storing would help. Running plastic on the walls as a moisture barrier might help but I dont think sheetrock would help. To make it more enjoyable to be in, a cement floor, electricity, sheetrock and paint would help.

Old 09-22-04, 03:39 PM
Super Moderator
What you do to this shed will depend on how nicely you want to fix it up and how much money you want to spend.

A lot more detailed info is needed to give any specific advice on what you should do.

Where do you live and what is the climate, do you want to heat it, what is there now for a foundation, will you be in there in cold weather, etc.

Old 09-23-04, 04:46 AM
Excellent! Thanks for the tips so far...I live in upstate NY, so the winters are pretty harsh, and there's quite a bit of rain...

The roof is tin, and doesn't leak...yet...there are currently plants & weeds growing on it...

The floor is currently dirt. There IS electric in the shed currently. The structure is built around 4 large corner poles and the studs are sturdy. The walls are long barnboards, and you can see daylight between them.

I'd like to spend under $2,000, and would like to make it comfortable enough to use in the winter if possible...

Old 09-23-04, 05:22 AM
Super Moderator
What are the outside dimensions?

Old 09-23-04, 06:14 AM
The shed is about 20x30 with a 15x15 area on one side that is partially enclosed and has a roof. You can see a rough diagram of it at http://www.brianandheather.info/images/shed.jpg